Apple Vision Pros is a step in the wrong direction

Apple designed the final design of the Apple Vision Pros, its most recent addition to its line of products. Photo illustration by Simon Aragoza

Apple is known for its bold and eccentric products, most notably the iPhone to the most recent Apple Vision Pro. This innovation is essentially a expensive pair of glasses that allow a person to access their apps out of thin air through a mixed reality system. Through this system, users can bring objects to life. They can pull an object out of an app and look at it from every angle through an augmented reality system. This is a system that fully immerses a consumer in  the product allowing for them to digitalize the world they see. Despite this item being able to simplify tasks, it’s too much. Invading too much of a person’s daily life would steer society down the wrong path.           

To begin, people using the Apple Vision Pro would be overexposed to technology leading to health problems involving vision, sleep and weight. Although seen less in iPhone usage, vision will be severely negatively affected as the Apple Vision Pro is used two inches from the eyes, putting consumers at risk for eye strain. Additionally, the light emitted from electronic tablets can affect a person’s circadian rhythm, making a person less alert the next day or making it difficult to fall asleep. Furthermore, overextended use of this technology would lead somebody to live an inactive lifestyle, effectively causing cardiovascular disease and obesity.

Dependency and addiction to technology can ruin a society. Increased usage forces individuals to rely on technology for basic tasks and impairs their ability to think independently, one of the most basic characteristics of being human. Devices like these let artificial intelligence lead someone’s thoughts instead of real human ingenuity. 

As most people would get instantly hooked to this device, it would be a public safety hazard. For example, someone wearing Apple Vision Pros might be distracted by the virtual reality that they become unaware of their surroundings. This would be an issue in public as they can not respond to traffic while crossing a busy street. Furthermore, electronics can be hacked and everyone’s data could be stolen or sold online, as this product is used more, like many other electronics, the risk of stolen data and information becomes higher.

Though I understand the reasons why people might be interested in the Apple Vision Pro, there are too many risks involving a person’s well-being and safety compared to the little comfort and convenience it provides. This product would turn society dependent and reliant on technology for the most simple tasks, dehumanizing them in the process. Though technology is indeed a great aid to the world, it should not be exploited and overused like this.

by SIMON ARAGOZA