Fall Play: Picasso at the Lapin Agile

November is here and it is finally time for the fall play to premiere.

Picasso at the Lapin Agile opens Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. There are additional show times on Nov. 6, Nov. 12, and Nov. 13. These showings also begin at 7 p.m. 

Written by comedian Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile colorfully tells the fictional story of Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein meeting up in a bar in Paris. It is the beginning of the 20th century and both men are on the verge of an amazing idea. 

“It is a great story that combines humor with a beautiful message. I know that everyone will be entertained by the characters on stage,” Cathy Yount said.

However, after Mr. Eldredge was gone from school for a week, the cast had to find a way to prepare for the performances without his guidance.

“It was a challenge for the cast, but I think we handled it well. It was difficult for us because we had to run scenes or sections of the play without getting any new feedback, so it got a little monotonous. We took advantage of the time to make sure we had all of our lines completely memorized so that when Mr. Eldredge got back we could work hard on character development and relationships. During the time he was gone, a few teachers such as Mr. Barnholdt and Mrs. Lane came in to supervise because we need a teacher present to rehearse. We are all very grateful to them because without their willingness to give up their time we would have been off the stage for a week, which would have been a huge step back,” Yount said.

Brooke Vasconcellos agrees that it must have been a challenge for the cast.

“In the end, he’s such a good director that they really pulled it together. It will be a very good show,” Vasconcellos said.

The cost is $5 for students with an A.S.B. card and $7 for adults.

“It’s important for people to support the theatre program. Whitney puts on some really amazing shows, but we need people to come see them in order to continue doing shows. It’s a fantastic cast and an amazing show that everyone needs to go see!” Yount said.
BY HALEY DOYLE