‘Wreck It Ralph’ captures hearts of people of all ages

Wreck It Ralph (John C. Reilly) is at a bad guys support group meeting. Photo from “Wreck It Ralph” Official Website, used with permission under fair use.
Wreck It Ralph (John C. Reilly) attends a bad guys support group. Photo from “Wreck It Ralph” Official Website, used with permission under fair use.
Standing nine feet tall with hands almost four times the size of an average character, Wreck It Ralph has been destroying buildings for the past 30 years in the popular game Fix It Felix Jr. Hated and feared by the other characters, he lives a lonely life in the dumps.
“Wreck It Ralph” revolves around the story of a video game character Wreck It Ralph, voiced by John C. Reilly, who is tired of being the bad guy. In order to be accepted by his fellow game characters and be a part of the community, he must prove himself worthy. So he sets out to win a hero’s medal in order to prove that he is not all bad and that he can be a hero too. But he ends up throwing the arcade into chaos, by game jumping from game to game.

On his journey Ralph befriends a few characters including the Sugar Rush glitch, Vanellope Von Schweetz, voiced by Sarah Silverman, and Hero’s Duty sergeant Calhoun, voiced by Jane Lynch. When he goes missing, his game partner Fix It Felix, voiced by Jack McBrayer, leaves the game in order to find Ralph and bring him back to their game. Ralph decides to help Vanellope race in the game so that she can have a place in the character roster the next day and win him back his medal that she used to enter the race with. But King Candy, voiced by Alan Tudyk,  tried to stop the duo from competing in the race. The story revolves around the friendship between Vanellope and Ralph. Wreck It Ralph also learns what the true meaning of friendship is and what being accepted feels like.

The film smashed into theatres Nov. 2, is rated PG, and is a family comedy, released by Walt Disney Animation Studios and directed by Rich Moore. This is another successful animated movie by Disney that does not include princesses.

“Wreck It Ralph” will surely capture the hearts of people of all ages, as it is filled with many comedic scenes and clever quirky sayings. This movie will surely be another addition to my favorite Disney movies.

Disney did an exceptional job when trying to find a middle ground where young children and adults can enjoy and find the movie entertaining. I was surprised at the the number of adults and teenagers in the theater despite this movie being meant for children. The movie also entertained everyone watching from the oldest senior citizen  to the youngest preschooler. “Wreck It Ralph” also included many references that both old and young audiences can relate to, such as references to Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Brothers, Pacman and the now prehistoric arcade. The movie also included short funny sayings here and there that made audiences roar with laughter, such as Nesquik sand, Diet Cola springs with Mentos candy for stalactites, and devil chocolate cakes that were the ‘devil’ dogs. I think that this movie is entertaining for everyone no matter how old one is, and it brings out the inner child in everyone.

The plot also kept the audience members on the edge of their seats. Director Rich Moore has an impressive filmography himself, with works like “The Simpsons” and “Futurama,” and has also added another successful animation to his list. I feel that both Disney and Rich Moore produced a funny family- friendly movie that anyone can enjoy.

‘Wreck It Ralph’ is a laugh-out-loud comedy that everyone in the family can enjoy. With an interesting take on a topic that people see and play everyday, Disney proved its originality once again with this fun family comedy movie. I strongly recommend this movie to everyone who wants to watch a funny animation film.  With it’s constant puns and funny scenes this movie will surely not disappoint, especially if you love video games.

by THERESA KIM