Driving permits give teens more opportunities

Megan Bauer walking towards the driver’s permit sign representing how a permit is the start of a whole new world. Photo by Ariella Appleby taken on Dec. 1.

Megan Bauer walks towards a sign representing how a permit is a new beginning for teens. Photo Illustration by ARIELLA APPLEBY

The stress of passing my permit test built as I walked through those DMV doors. The building smelled like a hospital and as I looked around all I saw were rows of chairs filled with sad looking people who had been waiting for hours. I see the workers there with no smiles on their faces, just tired and worn down expressions.

As I walked to the front desk I was greeted by a DMV employee.

“What’s your name and appointment time, and why are you here?” she said.

It seemed like the words were stuck in my mouth. I knew what I wanted to say. I wanted to say my name is Ariella Appleby and my appointment is at 3:15 p.m. and I’m here to take my permit test. But for some reason my nervousness took over and my voice was barely above a whisper. I ended up saying my name is Arirrella Applesbye and my appointment is at 15:03 and I have my permit. After that embarrassing moment I managed to say it correctly and I was just another person with a number waiting in line.

Every day teens have the privilege of marching through those DMV doors and taking their permit test for the first time. For us a permit is the key to freedom. It’s the first step in becoming an adult. Getting the permit is everything to us. We are trying to break free and prove that we can survive in this tough world.

I was called up to desk number nine and I gave them my birth certificate, my pink-slip, a check for $31 and the completed DL-44 form. The man working at the desk had me sign some papers and he sent me over to get my picture taken. The guy taking my picture gave me my test and told me to sign at the end once I was finished.

The test seemed to last for forever. Most of the questions were pretty easy, and they came off the test we took in drivers education. However some questions were not covered in class and so they were difficult. There were also a couple of questions that were worded bizarrely making it difficult to understand. Despite the obstacles I successfully passed my test and I was given my permit.

My first driving experience ever was pretty good I was in a empty parking lot at the library close to where I live before I had my permit. I didn’t have my permit yet but it was private public parking so it wasn’t against the law ( I talked to a police officer about that). I did pretty well, I drive carefully making perfect turns, stopping at the right times without giving myself and my mom whiplash and parking perfectly in the lines. I was most surprised by my mom because she remained completely calm about the entire thing. The second time I went it was so memorable I have completely forgot what I did. The third time however was very interesting I ran into a few problems. My dad had me drive in a roundabout at about 15 miles an hour, and I was driving well until I started drifting over to the curb. I tried to steer in the opposite direction,but unfortunately for me I overcorrected, missed the brake and accelerated into two trees and a sign. Fortunately I was in my 2003 Ford Expedition so it simply ran over the trees and the sign. My dad took care of the whole mess and called the insurance company and a nice policeman filed a report about it while I sat on the curb, sheet white and shaking like a leaf. I decided I’m wouldn’t drive until my behind-the-wheel training a few months later.

Permits can give you a chance to prove you’re responsible and trustworthy. They help helps you earn your freedom from your parents. If you can prove you’re trustworthy enough with a permit, your parents can give you more freedom and trust you more once you get your driver’s license. My parents let me earn my freedom by making me do all my homework before driving if I want to go out. It may be difficult but it’s a good system to make me work hard to drive.

by ARIELLA APPLEBY