What does your music say about you?

Photo illustration by Ferrari + Caballos from Flickr, used under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Thousands of people everyday are stereotyped by the music they listen to, but who are people to judge one another on their style of music? We all have different types of music we like to listen to on a daily basis, and that’s just who we are as people.

Music allows people to connect and express their feelings through lyrics. It also defines who you are as a person, by the way you interpret what you’re listening to. Every single song out there has some kind of meaning to it in some way, shape, or form. The artist’s intention is to affect their listeners and help them connect to others.

The type of music you listen to can tell alot about you as a person. All different genres of music have their own unique characteristics.  If all music was the same, we would be living in a pretty boring, tasteless world.

“I like hip-hop music because I love to dance to it.” – Haley Gurney (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Hip-Hop/Dance
With the harsh sound of bass in your ears and that rush through your heart, it’s the kind of music that just makes you want to get up and dance the night away. Not only does this type of music make you want to dance like a maniac, it also gives you this feeling in your gut that makes you bubbly, pumped up, and quite happy. Radio stations in the sacramento area such as ksfm 102.5 and 103.5 are loaded with hip-hop/dance songs. If you mainly listen to hip-hop/dance, then you’re the outgoing, adventurous type. You’re always looking for something new to do.

“Pop music just makes me want to get up and dance.” – Victoria Gutierez (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Top 40/Pop
“Mainstream”, the type of music that you may always hear on the radio, or the songs that never stop getting stuck in your head. Like that one song you knew before everyone else, and it just so happened to be on the radio day after day after day. Then once everyone else knew it, you started to either still love it or want nothing to do with it. We’ve all had those moments, unfortunately, but it never gets us to stop listening. If you’re the type of person that is constantly listening to the radio, maybe stations such as 107.9 the end, KKDO 94.7, Playlist.com, or Pandora, then you’re the hardworking, honest, conservative type. You’re always on top of any work that needs to be done, and won’t take no for an answer.

“Rock music makes me think deeply and is inspirational to me as well.” – Brandon Raynes (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Rock/Metal
Time to grab those drumsticks and headbang the night away. Rock/metal music has a thick, massive sound created by extended guitar solos and emphatic beats. A few of the first heavy metal bands were Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. You may always hear these bands on 98.5 rock or eagle 96.9. These radio stations play all kinds of different bands old or current. If you’re the type of person that likes rock music, you tend to be a bit of a slacker. Sometimes you procrastinate whether it’s school, work, or even chores at home. You like being independent at times, but also have your moments where you want to be with a huge crowd of people.

“I like orchestra music, because it makes me think of Harry Potter who I love.” – Maddeline Smith (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Classical
Classical music puts you more at ease. It’s the type of music that’s nice to listen to maybe after a long day of work, school, etc. Composers such as Beethoven, Mozart and Bach create their magic just through instruments, not words. If you’re the classical type, you’re  more at ease, and outgoing. You’re also the hands-on type. Being creative is one of your specialties, and you love showing people your work. A perfect website for classical music would be www.live365.com/genres/classical.

“I listen to Indie and Alternative music because it makes me feel all bubbly inside.” – Kayla Howie (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Indie/Alternative
Indie is the type of music that no one really knows about. It’s sort of hidden in its own little world at times. It can also be described as a type of alternative music. It has that sort of “independent” vibe to it, meaning it’s a type of Do-It-Yourself approach to recording and publishing. These underground listeners don’t tune into the radio as much. They prefer to customize their own playlists from songs they’ve heard from other good friends, or music reviews on indie websites such as www.indierockcafe.com. Indie music has many different vibes to it, whether it be happy, sad, deep, and so on. People into Indie music are mainly independent themselves. They like to prove to people that they don’t need the help from others, and can do a task on their own.

“It’s just the type of music I’ve grown up with all my life.” – Grant Vigil (Photo by Ashley Raynes)

Country
Country music has a lot of different sides to it. There’s the hardcore banjo songs or the slow and steady heartbreak ones. It can either leave you ecstatic, or deep in thought. Country music is a classic and never fails to entertain people. A few well-known country artists would be Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, and Blake Shelton. If you’re a country boy or cowgirl at heart, you’re the type of person who is more of the quiet type. You keep to yourself sometimes and can be afraid of speaking your mind. But you love being adventurous and trying new things. You aren’t afraid to show your true colors. If you’re a country listener or are wanting to check out some of the music, I would highly recommend using pandora. By typing in Taylor Swift, you will not only get a few of her songs, but songs of other artists that are similar to her.

by ASHLEY RAYNES, HANNAH WHITE & NAOMI WHITECOTTON