4 Pics 1 Word kills time while providing entertainment

Screenshots of the game 4 Pics 1 Word. Photo illustration by ILAF ESUF

WARNING: By getting this free app you will be susceptible to staring at a screen for long periods of time and will be unable to focus on anything productive. With an average of 4.5/5 stars based off of 14,870 rating review on iTunes, 4 Pics 1 Word is the new addicting app that has everyone on their smartphones— more than usual.

Easy enough for anyone aged 10 to 100 to comprehend, this simple game has a wide audience. The words are easy enough for children and adults to comprehend. With computers serving as opponents, players are required to guess what a series of four pictures mean using a panel of letters and a word limit as restrictions. Each level cleared elicits a prize of coins which can then be used to reveal a letter or remove letters from the panel for those who are stuck. If players run out of coins, they are given the opportunity to purchase more coins through the app. Players who do not want to use coins can also connect through Facebook to share the photo on their timeline and ask friends for help. There are no penalties for wrong guesses and there is no time limit adding pressure, but levels cannot be skipped.

Although the game is not as competitive as other popular apps like Words with Friends or Draw Something, the plethora of levels keep players addicted. It would be great if future updates included more interactions with friends. One of the reasons Words with Friends and Draw Something grew so popular is because they connected friends, which increased the interest in competition. However, because 4 Pics 1 Word is played against a computer, it loses that competitive edge. Varying levels of difficulty may also add more interest to the game as most levels seem pretty basic.

Overall, this app tests people’s ability to think outside the box and helps form connections. Serving its purpose of keeping players entertained, this is a great app to get if you’re looking to kill some time.

by ILAF ESUF