Boys’ Basketball in crunch time

Photo by Paige Transue on Jan. 13 against Lincoln

Half way through league play, the boys’ varsity basketball team is already playing in crunch time. After getting off to a pretty good start in the pre-season with some quality wins against higher division teams, the Wildcats now find themselves with a record of 2-4.

“We have had our ups and downs for sure. We had a good win against Placer, but we’ve lost several games that we simply shouldn’t have,” Eric Gee said.

When asked about this season’s winning woes, the guys, rather then blame other factors, take full responsibility for their troubles.

“We need to believe in each other and we need to put forth more of an effort both in practice as well as in games,” Cody Borst said.

While the record is not as good as it was last year, this season has not been marked entirely by failure. The school spirit displayed on Jan 15 against Placer, for many fans, defined the basketball season thus far.

“Students showed alot of dedication and spirit against Placer. The noise and cheering helped our team to victory and it made me proud to be a Whitney student,” Max Jacobs said.

Even though the team is two wins below a .500 winning percentage, hope still remains for the remainder of the season.

“Obviously we want to come out strong and have a great second half of league play, but even if we win just three out of our last six, we could be in a position to hopefully make playoffs.” Brendan McCue said.

Not only is there hope for this season, but also for the future of the program. The freshman team currently has alot of talent and height, but more importantly, the varsity team has several players this year that will be returning next year.

“Since there’s two sophomores on the team this year, there will definitely be improved leadership for the next few years,” McCue said.

The next home game for the boy’s team is against Lincoln on Thursday, Feb. 4.

By CHAD TUCKER