Maroon cast makes masterpiece of “Sound of Music”

Maria Rainer (Sidney Raey-Gonzales) talks to the Von Trapp children of the maroon cast during the opening performance of the “Sound of Music” on Feb. 28. Photo by Chelsey Burgess

From the live orchestra at the front of the theater to the amazing vocals on the stage, “The Sound of Music” is a detailed masterpiece. The musical opened on Feb. 28 and runs until March 9. Tickets cost $10 for students and seniors 55 years and older, $7 for children and $15 for general admission.

Some of the actors are double casted, like Maria who is played by Sidney Raey-Gonzales and Kayla Krogh, while others are at every showing like the nuns and Captain Von Trapp (Alex Clark). The casts switch off every showing. Seniors Alex Clark and Sidney Raey-Gonzales led the maroon cast on opening night. Raey-Gonzales brings the iconic Maria to life. Her singing and acting created an overall great performance. She and Clark have amazing chemistry with each other and the other actors in the play. Clark does a brilliant job with Von Trapp’s harsh and stern side as well as his calm and affectionate one.

Everyone in the maroon cast has a beautiful voice supported by believable acting. Freshman Jordan Sienkewicz, who plays one of the Von Trapp children named Liesl, carries a heavy role for her first high school performance and does it justice. Freshman Sarah Karver (Loiusa) and junior Jonah Petty (Friedrich) both do a great job connecting to the other children in the Von Trapp family. The other children are made up of children from the Rocklin community which gives the musical a comedic and more realistic feel. The children all have such big voices in their little bodies.

The orchestra does a great job during the musical numbers. The live music gives a genuine feel to the songs and helps make the audience feel like they are in the play. Their only downfall is the transitional music, the music in between scenes. It needs more rehearsal time. The violins were overpowering and sounded out of key.

The costumes look like they came straight out of the movie. There are a lot of different costumes ranging from nun robes to evening wear. The detail is great. For example the Nazi soldiers outfits were very well detailed down to the red and black arm bands.

The set design was also very well done. The main set was the Von Trapp house with gates, gardens, and separate walls to create different scenes. The different props add to the variety in scenery such as the brick walls in the nunnery or the flowered gates in the Von Trapp garden.

When picking a seat for the show, make sure it’s comfortable because you will be there for about two hours and 40 minutes, but don’t worry, because you will be lost in the play the whole time.

by OLIVIA GRAHL