Students donate blood to those in need through blood drive

Junior Kori Silva gives blood at the blood drive on March 5. Photo by KAVYA PATHAK.

For the second time this year, the blood drive, organized by ASB and Blood Source, took place in the small gym from 8:30-1:30. On March 5, students donated blood that will ultimately be distributed among 40 hospitals in Northern California.

“I’ve given blood three times, and I do it every time there’s a blood drive because I have type O blood. I’m a universal donor, so I can help a lot of people by donating,” Kylie Borchelt said.

The process that leads up to students being able to donate stretches back one month before the drive begins.

“We (contacted) Blood Source and getting consent forms, sign-up sheets and posters for the event. We then set up tables at lunch and gave out big candy bars to people who signed up,” commissioner of community service Pavan Sohal said.

Preparations on the day of the event began before school to ensure the drive would begin on time.

“About 12 leadership students and I got here at 7 to set up the drive and help the people from Blood Source, and make sure everything was ready so we could start at 8:30,” Sohal said.

Once students arrived at the gym, they began the donation process, which includes questionnaires, interviews and a physical before donation can take place.

“Donors are given a mini physical to ensure they don’t have a fever, or any other issues that could keep them from donating,” Kristen Graves, the charger of the event, said.

The questionnaire, and the interview that follows it, are particularly important in ensuring that donation is safe for both donors and recipients of the blood.

“The questionnaire has 46 questions, which are the same every time. They range from whether the donor has travelled outside of the country to whether the donor has had any medical conditions or blood transfusions. We also ask about whether donors are currently playing sports, because it can be harmful to undertake physical activity after donating,” Virginia Quintal, a phlebotomist who works at Blood Source, said.

After the questionnaire and interview, the donor must undergo a finger prick to test his or her red blood cell count, and if the donor is within the normal range, he or she is allowed to donate a pint of blood, a process which can be painful for some donors.

“The person drawing my blood couldn’t find the vein with the needle because my vein kept moving, so he kept jabbing my arm, which really hurt,” Amanda Bray said.

Despite the pain, students are glad to have donated.

“Today was my first time donating blood, and I was really nervous, but I would definitely do it again, because it’s great to know I helped someone and could save a life,” Austin Allen said.

Though 135 students signed up for the drive, not all could give blood due to illness and low red blood cell counts.

“Since it’s still cold and flu season, people will get turned away and we won’t get 135 pints of blood, but we will probably get around 100 to 115 pints through this drive,” Sohal said.

Yet, for those who could not give during this blood drive, opportunities still exist to donate.

“We’re only here once or twice a year, but you can give blood every eight weeks, and we’re always having drives at schools and churches in this area. You can also give blood at our center in Roseville,” Quintal said. “It’s great that so many people have donated during this drive, and we really appreciate people taking the time and coming out to donate.”

by KAVYA PATHAK