Wildcat Spirit

Let me pose you a question and I want you to think about it. If you are a sports fan and your team hasn’t even made playoffs or even a losing record, would you still support them, cheer for them, watch them, and show-off you are a fan of a losing team? Yes you would, so what is wrong with watching our sports that aren’t as good, even the worse the good ones as well. For example, there are a lot of Raiders fans even around here and, to be honest, they suck. The 49ers can barely make playoffs; in fact they didn’t make it. To make matters worse, we are basically part of the team because they play for our school and without our support, the athletes’ passion and adrenaline isn’t there.

Now I understand that football is the biggest sport at this school; they have won many banners and titles for our school such as the Section Championship last year and when you leave the door of the big gym to the exit of the front, there is the trophy case and many of those are basketball as well. To tell you the truth, they didn’t do too hot this year, although they did go to playoffs, they still lost to Sonora. Just because football is done doesn’t mean that all of our sports are also done as well.
     Considering that basketball is the second biggest sport, it doesn’t get as much of our students going compared to football. The basketball team has also done well; last season they went to playoffs and although they lost, they did get a league title, well tied with Bear River but they did really good. This year they are 8-8, not amazing, but also they aren’t below 500. It takes one momentum shift to get them going, anything is possible and with a little push from our school, the amazing can still happen.
     For example, Fight Song Friday is only during football season and only during home games. When the football season is over though, so is Fight Song Friday. Mr. Jason Feuerbach is the coach of the football team and the activities director which might be a little something to think about.  
     From going to many of both of these sports games, I have observed that all the adults that go to the football game are from everywhere and are hyped to watch, where as basketball only have the parents of the players themselves. Mr. Manny Rodriguez, the Athletic Director, says that the average home football ticket sale is 800 people while average basketball sales is about 100 to 150. 
   Can we really call ourselves wildcats?

By DARREN GARCIA