“Jack the Giant Slayer” brings a new twist to a classic tale

Photo from the “Jack the Giant Slayer” official website, used with permission under fair use.

Remaking a classic children’s story and turning it into an epic adventure is no easy feat. Based on the novel “Jack and the Giant Beanstalk,” the movie “Jack the Giant Slayer” is visually enjoyable. At the same time, this movie is also very predictable. A common farm boy meets a beautiful girl, manages to complete an extraordinary feat, falls in love the beautiful girl, who also happens to be a princess who is somehow not out of his league, and tries to win over the princess’ love. “Jack the Giant Slayer” has a common element that most movies do, the theme of heroism. However, despite the predictable qualities of this movie, there are also some key differences between the book and the movie, along with some pleasant surprises that made this movie fun to watch.

Isabelle (Eleanor Tomlinson), is a princess and portrays herself as the adventurous type who just wants to be a “normal” girl, and wants nothing to do with royalty. Jack (Nicholas Hoult) is the main character, who happens to be a very typical farm boy, the sort of kid next door who wants to prove his manhood, while simultaneously managing to get the girl as well.

The story begins atop a giant beanstalk. When Jack is captured by giants, he must not only save himself and the princess from doom, he must also manage to protect the entire kingdom from a bunch of man-eating giants.

Director Bryan Singer (who also directed X-Men and Superman Returns) did an excellent job while making this movie. He made sure he stuck to the original plotline, while adding his own twists and turns. The graphics, like how all the statues where the giants live look incredibly life-like, added a special touch to the movie that was enjoyable. Bryan Singer tackled the task of making a movie centered around fictional creatures not only possible, but believable. The graphics in this movie were amazing, just like those in his other works.

Want to see a childhood bedtime story with a twist, despite some very predictable turnouts? Then go see “Jack the Giant Slayer.” You may be pleasantly surprised, even if you think you know the outcome of the story.

by MACKENZIE SHALES