Gold cast performs above and beyond expectations

Elsa Schraeder (Hayley Barker) talks to the Von Trapp children in the gold cast of the “Sound of Music” on Mar. 9. Photo by Selena Cervantes
Elsa Schraeder (Haley Barker) talks to the Von Trapp children in the gold cast of the “Sound of Music” on Mar. 9. Photo by Selena Cervantes

“The Sound of Music” was absolutely flawless from the setup of the stage to the actors portraying this classic musical. The gold cast made the play believable and allowed the audience to be drawn in and connect to the characters.

There were two casts: the maroon cast and the gold cast. Between the two casts, there was double casting such as Maria who was played by both Kayla Krogh and Sidney Raey-Gonzales. When putting the cast together they could not have done a better job. The children Von Trapp  were comprised of both high school students and younger children from the Rocklin community.

With the captivating singing, the live orchestra, the theater decor and costumes, the musical was over the top. The costumes, loaned from Jill Page and the Rocklin Community Theater, looked as if they jumped out of Austria in the late 1930’s right onto the stage. It was easy to tell that everybody put a lot of time and hard work into the props because of how real it looked. From the staircase to details such as the mountains painted as a backdrop, the set design was absolutely amazing. The main setting was the inside of the Von Trapp household but the stage was also transformed into both the Von Trapp garden and the nunnery.

Krogh, from the gold cast, portrayed the carefree and loving Maria to the point of perfection. There was an unquestionable connection between Maria and Georg Von Trapp, played by Alex Clark. Clark was able to personify the stern and distant Georg Von Trapp, but he also was able to play the happier and loving side of the character also.

There was nothing that could really be criticized about the play except for that they needed to pay more attention to the volume of their microphones. Sporadically throughout the play the volumes jumped a little too high for the crowd.The play went from 7-9:40 p.m. with a ten minute intermission but the time went by quickly because it was so captivating. The intermission had people confused because the band began playing and the cast started the scene even though most people were not in their seats yet.

Overall, the musical was something to be remembered.

by SELENA CERVANTES