Girls’ Varsity soccer team beats Roseville 1-0

The girls’ varsity soccer team prepares for their game against the Roseville Tigers. Photo by JENICA DODGE

On March 11, the girls’ varsity soccer team played Roseville High School and beat them with a score of 1-0.

Before the game began, several of the seniors shared that their desire to beat Roseville was just a great as beating Rocklin. The Wildcats entered the game hungry for victory, though it was not apparent. The mysterious sudden change in weather seemed to throw them off. Coach Ana Jones was repeatedly yelling, “Settle in, ladies!”

The slow moving, defensive first half was quiet and uneventful. Several shots were taken and the crowd screamed for a score. When that wasn’t happening, the crowd resorted to screaming, “Just take a shot!” The teams continued to run up and down the field.

The tides turned at the beginning of the second half. A reawakening seemed to occur during the halftime. Not long after the half began, Mikayla English scored the Wildcats’ first and only goal. The girls’ obvious mission was to keep scoring or at least hold the Tigers off 1-0.

After a long, hard-fought game, the whistle blew, signaling the Wildcats’ victory.

The girls continue to hold their undefeated record. Next, the Wildcats will challenge Placer at Railhead Park on Wednesday, March 13th. The next home game is on March 20th against Lincoln. Support the undefeated varsity soccer team and watch them take on the Fighting Zebras.

by JENICA DODGE