‘Phantom’ disappoints to satisfy people looking for a thrill

Photo+from+Phantom+Official+Website%2C+used+with+permission+under+Fair+Use.+
Photo from Phantom Official Website, used with permission under Fair Use.
Photo from Phantom Official Website, used with permission under fair use.

Cold hearts, cold revenge and the Cold War. “Phantom” directed by Todd Robinson, attempts to demonstrate the hatred, the suffering, and the mystery that was a part of the Cold War in one movie that takes place in a Soviet submarine. The film stars four-time Academy Award nominee Ed Harris playing the role of a captain who has just returned home with his crew after being out on sea for 76 days.

As the Russian veteran captain, Demi, arrives and reports back, he receives news that the Soviet Navy has requested him to return to sea on a mission. About to retire, the Navy grants him the opportunity to conduct a mission on a submarine that is about to be sold to China — a submarine which he has shared experiences with before.

Joining his crew is a technician (David Duchovyn) and his partner, claiming to only be testing prototype equipment. But the technician, whom the captain clearly doesn’t recognize, says “Good to see you again Captain”, with a cold tone, hinting off a more sinister ordeal at hand. If that wasn’t a big enough clue, then perhaps the fact that the submarine is armed with nuclear weapons is a glaring sign that something evil is at hand.

The slow pace of the movie seems to pick up speed as soon as the crew begin their mission in the submarine. Scenes become tense as Demi’s crew has to avoid American vessels. Then it boils down to torpedoes firing, hurling the ship, and then the exposure of the “Phantom”.

At the very peak of the movie, the command of Demi’s vessel is deceitfully turned over, and after being humiliated and haunted by memories and figures of the past he finds himself a prisoner in his own submarine. More disturbingly, the true goal of the mission has been revealed Demi and his loyal companions must risk their own lives to take back the ship and stop the mission from being completed.

Now, the movie had an excellent cast, by all means the actors knew how to act. However, the lack of a Russian accent in a Soviet submarine practically killed a lot of feeling towards the movie. Of course there was proper Russian outfits, writings, and the ship was perfectly modelled, but it felt like somebody just stuck a bunch of Americans in a Soviet submarine.

Some of the scenes did a great job of creating tension, but if you’re looking for a truly historical, action packed movie about the Cold War time period, don’t bother with watching “Phantom”,  because you’ll find more Hollywood than Soviets in this film.

by KALEEN SINGH