Boys’ JV baseball beats Valley Christian 16-2

Kurtis Pruitt hits the ball for a double on March 12. Photo by SYDNEY HUMPHRIES.

The JV baseball team beat Valley Christian at home 16-2 on March 12. Valley Christian scored two points in the first inning, but Whitney caught up, beating Valley Christian by 14 points.

Kurtis Pruitt pitched four out of the five innings and also took many turns at bat.  Whitney scored runs in every inning, which resulted in their 14 point lead.  Justin Erickson, the only freshman on the team, and David Bruce were some of Whitney’s major hitters at the plate and not only scored, but earned three RBIs each.

Although Justin Hanlin had a serious concussion the week before from being hit in the jaw with a baseball; he was still able to play and had multiple hits in the game.

There were almost always people on base because of Pruitt’s tendency to give up walks, making for not only an offensive game, but also a defensive game.  Whitney took the opportunity to throw out runners on base.  On the other hand, Valley Christian fielded the ball with more errors; there were even some times in which the ball rolled through the infielder’s legs.

Chase Spinning finished up the game on the mound and concluded the game with three strikeouts.

“We felt confident throughout the whole game and I lucky enough to finish us off pitching.  We all played our best even though we already were winning by so much,” Spinning said.

by RACHEL MACKENZIE & SYDNEY HUMPHRIES