‘Oz the Great and Powerful’ doesn’t meet expectations

Photo+with+fair+use+of+Oz+the+Great+and+Powerful.+Photo+from+http%3A%2F%2Fdisney.go.com%2Fthewizard%2F%23+
Photo with fair use of Oz the Great and Powerful. Photo from http://disney.go.com/thewizard/#
Photo from the “Oz the Great and Powerful” official website, used with permission under fair use.

I felt a rush of excitement when I went to the Blue Oaks Century Theaters to see “Oz the Great and Powerful.” However once I left I couldn’t help but feel slightly disappointed at some things, though I was content with others.

The actors who were picked for this movie were perfect. I felt really convinced that they were who they played. James Franco, who played Oz, did an amazing job of acting as the player and conman. Evanora  (Rachel Weisz) was amazing as the evil witch. She did a phenomenal job of being manipulative and pure evil. I felt like I could feel her horridness in while I was sitting in my seat.

Mila Kunis was not the best choice for the role of Theodora. She did an okay job before her transformation, however didn’t seem as threatening as the old wicked witch of the west from the 1939 “Wizard of Oz”. Her cackle and presence didn’t feel evil like her sister. When she attacked Munchkinland I didn’t feel an eminent threat as I did with the other wicked witch of the west.

Glinda was brought to life by Michelle Williams. Her sweetness was never sappy, instead remaining warm and welcoming. China Girl (Joey King) was amazing; she looked like she was made of real china. Her acting as the girl in the wheelchair in the Kansas scenes was even better; she made me feel sorry for her and want to help her. Finley (Zach Braff) the assistant in Oz and Frank the assistant Kansas (also Zach Braff), were hilarious making lots of puns which provided comedic relief at intense scenes.

The special effects were disappointing when Oscar (Oz) made it to the land of Oz. It just seemed so fake and unrealistic at certain parts and viewers could tell when the green-screen was used because the characters had a haze around them. However when Theodora turned into the green wicked witch, and when Evanora turned into the ugly old witch the effects were superb.

The movie did a great job of explaining how Oz got there and it went right along with the original “Wizard of Oz” movie. Unlike the “Wizard of Oz” there wasn’t very much singing, the Munchkins sang once and was quickly interrupted by Oz. I felt there could have been more to make it closer to the original but I think it would have made it more of a musical.

The movie did a great job of explaining Oz’s past and how Oz became wizard and it left some room to possibly do a sequel.

There were parts that were not very appropriate for younger kids who get scared easily because the witches faces were zoomed in really close in a split second while they were doing their evil cackle, making even me jump.

The movie was similar to the 1939 film in the way that it started out black and white then changed to color. I felt like this was a good choice for the movie because it made closer to the old movie not something way off on its own tangent. If you haven’t seen the original, skip this one — you’ll be lost.

by ARIELLA APPLEBY