‘Home Run’ debuts with simple story, but scores with impassionate message

Photo from ‘Home Run’ official website, used with permission under fair use.

I left the movie theater with a different perspective of my life… how precious it is. ‘Home Run’, popular among the senior population, brings a sensation of hope and sincerity to viewers who are perhaps seeking consolation for something within themselves. Directed by television director, camera operator, and American cinematographer David Boyd, this one hour and 53 minute Christian-based film depicts the journey of all-star baseball player Cory Brand (Scott Elrod) who struggles with troubling childhood memories that make him turn to alcoholism. His alcohol abuse earns him a DUI as well as other consequences. After being flown back to his hometown and placed in an intervention program via his agent (Vivica A. Fox, from “Independence Day”), Cory finds acceptance in the community and discovers the healing power of God.

Rated PG-13 for the adult subject matters including substance abuse and mentioned personal testimonies, ‘Home Run’ is not intended for children ages 13 and under. Adding details to Cory Brand’s experiences in the rehabilitation program, admitted addicts share their personal stories of their struggles with drug and sex addictions, not intended for children to be seeing or hearing. Cory also has flashbacks of his abusive childhood that include yelling and offensive language not permitted for children’s ears.

David Boyd did a great job on portraying the raw feelings and relationships through both dialogue and imagery. The sets, from the exciting baseball scenes to the main character’s drunk seclusions, are all depicted with accurate intensity and emotion. The crew also used a variety of different filming techniques, including slow motion and lighting angles, to further accentuate the potency of the situation. The soundtrack incorporated in the movie also set the appropriate tone for the characters’ particular setting, all Christian-based with touching lyrics.

Commented on by viewers as a “life-changing movie”, ‘Home Run’ deserves a round of applause for bringing the vulnerability of human emotions and the affirmation of truth to the big screen.

by ARIANA LORDGE