Track team remains undefeated in league

Allie Pihl races in the girls’ 1600m race. Photo by JENICA DODGE

On Wednesday, April 24, the track team traveled to Antelope High School to compete in their third league meet. The Wildcats swept the competition in all three levels.

For the JV boys, freshman Malikai Turner won the 100m dash with a time of 11.59, a personal record. Turner also placed second in the 200m dash with a time of 24.87. In the 400m, freshman Garrett Cardoza won with a time of 53.61. Not far behind him was second place finisher sophomore Josh O’Neal with 55.56. In the 110m hurdles, freshman Hunter Rodriguez placed 3rd with a personal record of 17.52.

Freshman Isaiah Hanna won the 800m with a time of 2:12. Sophomore Eric Leverenz crossed the finish line behind him in third place with 2:19. In the 1600, commonly known as the mile, Hanna also won with a 4:52. In 3rd was sophomore Luis Higuera ran a 5:00. Higuera won the 3200, the 2 mile, with a time of 11:12. Right behind him was Leverenz with 11:17.

The 4x100m relay placed 2nd, as did the 4x400m relay. In shot put, freshman Colin Wahl placed third overall. Freshman Ben Cahill placed 3rd in discus. Sophomore Justin Read won high jump, triple jump and long jump. Pole vault was swept by freshmen Matthew Chaney, Anthony Leonti, and Cahill.

Scoring points for the varsity boys were senior Joey Camarda and junior Chris Gloudeman. Camarda ran 11.14 in the 100m dash and placed second. Gloudeman got third with 11.34, a personal record. Gloudeman also placed third in the 200m dash with 22.69, another personal record. Camarda placed third in the 110m hurdles with 16.49.

Senior Koren Vaughn got second in the 400m with a personal record of 52.48. In the 800m, senior Jacob Zufelt won with a time of 2:02. Zufelt also won the 1600m race with a time of 4:34. Following him in the 1600m were junior Nathan Wellington with 4:35 and senior Ryan Hodgens with 4:36. Wellington also won the 3200m with a time of 10:10.

The 4x100m relay won and the 4x400m team placed second. At the high jump pit, junior Kevin Hassani jumped 6 feet for the win. Following him were Camarda and junior Philip Mendoza, who both jumped 5-10. Junior Evan Ja placed second in triple jump and tied for third in long jump. At pole vault, sophomore Austin Eggers placed second with a personal record of 9’6.

Lastly, the girls’ team had sophomore Hannah Arnold score points with a second place finish in the 100m dash, crossing the line with a personal record of 13.01. Right behind her in third was sophomore Aliyah Wilkinson who also improved her time with a 13.28. In the 200m dash, senior Taylor Aidnik placed fourth with a time of 27.53. In the 800m, freshman Ozora Cheek won with a time of 2:27. Crossing the line after her was junior Jenica Dodge with a time of 2:28.

In the hurdles, senior Shea Barker won the 100m with a personal record of 15.30, as well as winning the 300m hurdles with a time of 48.83.

The girls’ 4x100m team won, and the 4x400m team placed second.

In the 1600m, Dodge won the race with a 5:27. Coming in third was senior Megan Hall with a 5:40. Freshman Hattie Groat came in immediately after, followed by Cheek and sophomore Haley Ellis. In the 3200, Dodge won with a time of 11:55. Groat came in second with a time of 12:27.

At high jump, sophomore Christina Daley won with a jump of 4-10. Placing second was senior Madeleine Dart with 4-8. Senior Stephanie Diettinger won in a pole vault, jumping 10 feet. In second was Alana Vierra, who jumped 9 feet. At long jump, Barker won with a jump of 17-04. At triple jump, Daley placed third with 29-04.

The Wildcats are undefeated in league and are ready to compete at league finals and trials. Both meets are at Antelope High School. Trials take place on Wednesday, May 8th, and finals are on Friday, May 10th. The next home meet is the SacTown Races on Saturday, May 4th. The invitational is hosted by Whitney and only freshmen and sophomores race. Support the Wildcats and cheer them on at 9am.

by JENICA DODGE