‘Place Beyond the Pines’ exceptionally interprets impact of crime, punishment

Photo from “Place Beyond the Pines” official website, used with permission under fair use.

Marketed as a simple crime drama movie, “The Place Beyond the Pines” dove so much deeper into the human psyche than any normal crime drama could hope to. Based off the the English meaning of the movie’s town setting of Schenectady, New York, from the very title itself, this film showed promise and a far deeper meaning than that which lay on the surface.

Director of such films as “Blue Valentine,” Derek Cianfrance certainly took his own classic independent spin on this could-have-been mainstream movie. “The Place Beyond the Pines” tells of the life and hardships of a former-motorcycle stuntman Luke Glanton (Ryan Gosling) trying to protect and provide for his ex-lover Romina (Eva Mendes) and their baby. Without real work, he turns to the help of a new friend, Robin (Ben Mendelsohn), in order to devise a bank-heist scheme which they use to rob multiple banks in the surrounding Schenectady area. With one bank robbing gone wrong comes the true beginning to the deeper story. After a car and motorcycle chase scene, in comes Officer Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) to save the day.

From here on, the story shifts from focusing on Glanton’s trials and tribulations to focusing on Cross’ internal conscience and the influence Cross and Glanton have on each other’s lives, even long after Glanton’s death. One of the most intriguing cinematography aspects of this film is the interactions of Cooper and Gosling – there was none. Not a physical one at least. Not once did the two alpha-dog actors appear on screen together. This in fact made each of the characters even stronger in their own roles as well as the influence each had on the other’s life. Cianfrance did an exquisite job of shying away from exposing Gosling’s overplayed romantic side and focusing more on his pure talent of playing mature and controversial characters such as in “The Ides of March” and “The Believer.” Cooper shone through as true as ever as playing a man struggling to find himself such as in “Silver Linings Playbook” and “The Words,” yet was still able to redefine himself in this more meaningful role.

The greatest impact this film has is clearly seen in the relationships between the two main characters and their families. Both the screenwriting and the constant switching from the Glanton family back to the Cross family does wonders at silently explaining the influences these two men have on those around them. Cianfrance’s writing significantly reflects the inner conflicts of Cross without making ignorant and maniacal. Throughout Cross’ struggles in finding his conscience, he is still seen as an underlying good character. In the same way, Glanton is tough and masculine, yet his relationships with Mendes and Mendelsohn preserve his deeper and more emotional sides – the sides that better reflect the independent qualities to this outstanding movie.

This film dives head-first into the relationships between fathers and sons as well as the complex moral decisions of right and wrong. Soaring far over more rudimentary concepts of right and wrong, Cianfrance does a spectacular job at exemplifying the legacy of sin within society and the ongoing presence of pressing morality that weighs upon the responsibility of one’s split second decision. Without becoming a Lifetime Classic movie, “The Place Beyond the Pines” creates a lasting impact by providing an insight into the psyche of today’s human and the complex grasp for inner peace.

With a fair amount of strong language and adult content, this movie is rated R and is not recommended for anyone under 17-years-old. Besides the normal adult content, this movie touches on mature concepts based on morality and sin that anyone under the age of 17 wouldn’t fully appreciate.

“The Place Beyond the Pines” is a must-see – no exceptions. Cianfrance exhibits complex writing so deep and unseen to popular film nowadays and his cinematography even better showcases the unique balances throughout the movie. Gosling and Cooper are knockouts in these performances, redefining themselves as well as adding on just another layer of impact on this already exemplary film. Without a doubt, “The Place Beyond the Pines” is a contender for independent and popular awards alike – this film showcases an unbelievable spirit, not only of human relationships, but of the constant struggle with the human conscience which decidedly impacts and fates the rest of our lives.

by EMMA RICHIE