The Wedding Singer closes its run with amazing performance

Alex Clark and Drea Achacoso perform on in the spring musical, “The Wedding Singer.” Photo by Sara Roudebush

It is astounding watching a fellow student express himself. Musical theater is just one way for students to show their true talent, and this weekend’s final performances of the musical had plenty of talent and expression. Max Jacobs is a perfect example. Jacobs played Robbie in “The Wedding Singer.” As Robbie, the main character, he was a singer who performs with his band at weddings. The show, which closed this weekend after six shows during the past two weeks, was Jacobs’ first time singing in front of an audience. He performed his heart and soul out even though he was sick.

Jacobs was not the only one sick, though. A large majority of the cast was sick after so many late nights of rehearsal and hard work combined with the common cold and flu going around. They all pulled off a great performance for being in that condition.

Everyone in the cast did an amazing job and the voices rang together beautifully.

The set was phenomenal. Bringing the show from off-Broadway to Whitney’s stage was very well done. It made it seem like you were seeing it on Broadway, just a smaller stage. The colors worked well and it made everything bright and open. As soon as the lights came on it was colorful and bright. The lights were all over the place and made it feel like you were back in the 1986. It felt like a big party with lights flashing all around.

The costumes were fun and brought the 80s in all of the cast.

The choreography was superb. Everyone in the dance numbers was together,  which made the dancing as one and you couldn’t notice anyone out of step. That’s not easy to do with such a large cast and big full-ensemble performances

The comedy from the script to the stage went well with the time era that it came from. The actors performed well and the crowd took it to heart and enjoyed it very much. Under the direction of Mr. Rick Eldredge, the show had a great closing weekend.

The one thing I did notice was the mics tended to fade in and out and sometimes you couldn’t hear what the actor was saying, but by listening to the rest of the dialogue you were able to interpret the dialogue, so it was fine.

If you have not seen the movie or did not get a chance to see the play, the show had a surprise impersonator at the end of the show: Mr. Jason Feuerbach.  Feuerbach and Mr. Matt Yamamoto took turns on the shows to play the impersonator. When he came out the audience cheered. However, he was not the only impersonator in the Vegas wedding crash that happened. Will Baker was the other impersonator. He was supposed to be Billy Idol and did a great job pulling that off.

The play left everyone in a good mood and refreshed for seeing fellow students giving their best to the school and giving an amazing performance.
By PAIGE SMITH