Girls’ varsity soccer ties El Camino 1-1

Girl’s soccer hold each other’s short in their pregame ritual for the last time in front of their home fans.
Girl’s soccer hold each other’s shorts in their pregame ritual for the last time in front of their home fans. Photo by ALEX MUIR

On April 27, the girls’ varsity soccer team played El Camino and tied 1-1.

The game included the team’s Senior Night celebration as eight seniors played their last home game in a maroon and white jersey. These celebrations were not only getting the seniors pumped up but also showing the underclassmen that if they win this game they will move into the playoffs.

The high pressure and speed on both sides made it an interesting game as both teams struggled to keep possession.

Rachel Blankenship said “I was very excited to play my last home game for Whitney. It also brought me a lot of nerves, which I think other players felt which, caused us to struggle,” Blankenship said.

The game opened up when El Camino scored 22 minutes in, making the score 1- 0.

“The goal really opened up the game and woke our players up, knowing that they were down one goal,” Coach Ana Jones said.

As the half came faster the tides started to turn as Whitney started to gain more and more possession and attack faster and faster but the half time whistle blew before they could pull one back.

When the whistle blew to start the second half, the team began right where they left off, pressing harder until in the 63rd minute when a cross from Aliyah Utush was dropped by the keeper and Ashley Hunter was able to just poke it in bringing the game level at 1-1.

“The goal really turned the game in our favor and it gave us a lot of energy for each other to feed off,” Hunter said.

The girls continued to press leaving open some counter-attacks in which senior keeper Molly McConnell made a few big saves.

The final whistle blew with the game ending 1 to 1, which wasn’t enough to get them into playoffs. The girls’ varsity soccer team’s last game was  May 1 at Cordova.

by ALEX MUIR