Showcase Night welcomes incoming freshmen

Photo Illustration by Ann Diep and Cody Eagle

A mixed combination of nervous and excited faces pack into the bleachers on March 8. Curious chatter echoes throughout the gym until principal Mrs. Debra Hawkins holds the mic to her mouth: “Well, let me tell you…we’re all here for a roller coaster ride.”
The annual Showcase Night, organized by ASB, welcomes new students and their parents for the upcoming school year to meet with teachers, learn about clubs and listen to administration talk through all the ropes of getting through the  journey called high school. Attendees received a printed program outlining the events of the night, with the famous WHS Fight Song on the back.
Current eighth grader Morgan McEwan was among the new crowd of incoming freshmen.
“I think high school should be fun, but I am nervous too. I’m glad that I could come to Showcase Night though. Now I can see what interests me and that will help me in choosing my classes,” McEwan said.
New students were not the only ones with butterflies in their stomachs.
“As a parent, I’m definitely antsy about the transition into high school. It’s a bigger environment and a whole new experience. I hope (Morgan) finds things that interest her tonight with all the exhibits. I just want her to be involved and have fun while she’s at Whitney,” mother Sheila McEwan said.
Among the exhibits, teachers split into their departments, displaying all that their subject areas have to offer.
“For us teachers, Showcase Night is a great opportunity for the freshmen to see what WHS has to offer, and hopefully they will find our subjects interesting and sign up for them. Lots of kids seem interested in art this year. I’m happy about that!” art teacher Mrs. Deborah Lane said.
The incoming freshmen were able to see beyond purely academics with special performances by groups on campus.
“I got to perform with winter guard. It wasn’t our best (performance), but we definitely showed potential members what we’re made of. It’s really exciting to know that there will soon be a whole new group of students that will want to join and get involved,” Donna Cruz said.
Club members also took advantage of the night to promote all their groups have to offer.
“I was there for Key club and it was a great chance to get the word out about our club. I think we were able to reel in some freshmen. It was definitely a good way to introduce the club, especially since the club itself is new to WHS,” Cinzia Keechilot said.
Although entering high school can be a scary experience, Showcase Night gave eager students some peace of mind.
“I remember coming to Showcase Night in eighth grade and it definitely helped me become more comfortable about going into high school. I hope that the new freshmen see all that Whitney has to offer and then they will also realize that high school isn’t so bad after all,” Anakarina Benyamin said.
By HALEY DOYLE