Bruno Mars falls short of high expectations

Photo provided by Bruno Mars official website, used with permission under fair use.

After it seemed he disappeared to the planet Mars, Bruno Mars finally released his new album “Unorthodox Jukebox”’ on Dec. 11. Unlike his last record “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” which consisted of more lightweight tones, his new tracks are more mature and groovy and are definitely a “Treasure.”

Some of the 10 tracks that stood out were “Treasure” and “Show Me.” “Treasure” has a classic groove upbeat tone, which is much different from the tracks heard on the radio today. Also, “Show me” sounds completely out of the box than most other songs on the album. It included a more fun-reggae sound and was a song you could relax and listen to on the beach.

However, some songs lost my interest and/or were not unique sounding like “Money Make Her Smile” and “If I Knew”. “Money Make Her Smile” sounds tinny and slow and the lyrics were annoying. “If I Knew” is also an average sounding song like most pop songs about love. I lost interest in both.

Speaking of love, a lot of the album’s songs are based off of love. Songs like “Natalie”, “Young Girls”, and “When I Was Your Man” all sound like love that occurred throughout the process of fame. All three songs have good vibes and tempos. “When I was Your Man” however seemed to have a deeper meaning than other common love songs. It also had a slightly slower beat.

The album also consisted of sensual songs. For instance, the smash hit “Locked Out Of Heaven” had a provocative meaning but nothing other than what is heard on the radio. However, the songs “Moonshine” and “Gorilla” were especially dirty. “Gorilla” is by far the dirtiest track on the album and is not one to listen to with a mother around, but that’s why it says “Parental Advisory Explicit Content” on the cover of the CD. But all songs were catchy and will keep most people singing along.

Overall, Bruno Mars’ smooth vocals flowed effortlessly in all the songs making it all sound mature and unique. Plus, the whole album had an upbeat vibe yet surprisingly a relaxed one too.

by SAVANNAH HOUDEK