B.A.P displeases fans in San Francisco

Photo provided by TS Entertainment, used with permission under fair use.

Hundreds of people wait in line waiting for the doors to open at The Warfield theater. The busy streets of San Francisco’s Union Square were filled with the bustling noise of girls anticipating and waiting eagerly for doors to open so that they could rush in. B.A.P was holding their concert on May 10 at the The Warfield in San Francisco, their second stop in their world tour B.A.P Live On Earth. The fans had high expectations considering B.A.P’s immense popularity in Asia, Europe, and America. But the concert ended up leaving mixed reactions and feelings for all of their fans.

B.A.P, short for Best Absolute Perfect, is a Korean boyband group who has become a rising star in Asia. Winning multiple awards all over the Asian continent, even taking a spot on the Billboard charts. B.A.P debuted in January of 2012 under TS Entertainment. With many teasers and features in songs like Secret Song Ji Eun’s “Crazy” this boy band was going to be one of the biggest productions under TS Entertainment. Also referred to as the Asian One Direction, the band consists of six members; Bang Yong Guk, Himchan, Dae Hyun, Young Jae, Jong Up, and Zelo. Since their debut in January the boys have stealing the hearts of K-Pop fans around the world with their music and dancing. They have also received a lot praise for their superb live performances and performance skills. This concert didn’t fail to reveal the truth.

The concert took place at 7:30 p.m. Many fans were excited to meet the boys and have a fun and memorable night. Waiting in a line that wrapped around the whole building in 60 degree weather. When the doors opened expected criteria was taken bag checks and ticket scans as well as fans rushing to try and find the best seat. The concert started at 7:45 with an introductory story as to why they were here and what their objective was. Explaining their Mato Planet story. The night proceeded with strong vocal performances from all the members. Their live performance was amazing, sounding just like a recording. At times doubting if this was a live performance or if it was an audio recording of the members. The concert got everyone pumped from the young teens to the chaperones who were at the concert. The chilly San Francisco weather was nothing compared to the burning passion and heat that the fans had for B.A.P.

The concert performance was superb, but the theater seating arrangements and security guard treatment is debatable. The Warfield theater is located on Market Street next to the Crazy Horse, a strip club. The stench of marijuana, emission, and urine made the wait in line that much more displeasing. But it was no different in the theater either, during the whole duration of the concert the smell of marijuana was unbearable. It was hard to concentrate on the boys when the stench of marijuana was making me nauseous and giving me a huge headache. It felt as if you could get high off the marijuana smell coming into the theater. Even after the concert the smell of marijuana wouldn’t leave my clothes until I washed them.

The seating arrangements was displeasing as well. Paying close to a hundred dollars for floor tickets you would expect to at least see them, it was impossible. It was impossible to see them even being 5’5” on 2 inch riding boots and on tippy toes. It was frustrating when they didn’t use the large screens to show the members. There was three large screens for their use yet they used the screens to show graphics and illustrations. During their song “What the Hell” they didn’t even show the members on the big screen, they were showing off a head banging into jail bars, I mean what the hell. The security guards were also very pushy, bitter, and rude. Treating many fans with disrespect and a rude and bitter tone and attitude. In the 2 hours almost 10-12 fans were either kicked out or pulled out for a duration of the time. One security guard didn’t hesitate to kick one girl out 30 minutes into the concert.

This concert experience was one interesting and memorable experience. My first K-Pop concert experience was in San Jose at the JYJ concert in June 2011. In comparison these two concerts were very different. During the JYJ concert security was polite and treated all the fans with respect and had a smile on their face. It seemed as if they were happy and excited to see fans at the concert. JYJ also managed to use the screens that was provided to them so that it was possible for fans even in the very back to get a good view. No one needed to use binoculars in order to see JYJ.

For the price paid and the four hour drive to and from San Francisco this concert was a disappointment. Paying close to 100 dollars for floor tickets, compared to 65 dollars for JYJ, the treatment, location, and seating was a disappointment. The boys performance was the only reason one should go to the concert. The time and amount of money spent in order to go to San Francisco was not worth it. It could have been the high expectations expected out of one of the best rookie groups in Korea, but the overall experience was displeasing.

by THERESA KIM