Shadows deserves to stay out of the shadows

Photo used by Lenka, used with permission under fair use.

On June 4, 2013, Lenka released a new album, “Shadows.” The Indie pop album, with 11 tracks and a run time of 41:19, is a whole beautiful mess of emotions revolving around mostly love and a relationship.

The lyrics of the songs either have very obscure or deeper meanings, like many indie albums, or right out say what the artist wanted to say, which offers more variation. Though for listeners who don’t pay much attention to lyrics or prefer listening to the song as a whole rather than focusing on lyrical content, the tempo and beats of the songs are enough to give you the feeling the lyrics give off. For example, the song “After the Winter” has verses that don’t make too much sense, but the guitar and the upbeat tempo of the song makes up for it, letting listeners know that it’s a happy song. Even if one doesn’t analyze the lyrics or even listen to the words, it’s possible to feel the emotion that the song emits.

Pertaining to the musical aspect of the album, most songs had either odd or pretty intros and outros. Most of the choruses and verses had pleasant or harmonic melodies, though a few tracks like “Two Heartbeats” had awkward beats. The worst song music-wise on the album in my opinion is “Heart to the Party,” which is basically elevator music but with maracas and singing.

The artist, Lenka, has a voice with a wide range that suits her music. Her pitch drops and raises octaves throughout the album, which shows her ability to transition into different types of songs.

Overall, this indie album receives an 8/10 from me for above average lyrics, good harmony, and some unique tracks. You can order Lenka’s album on her website. Like the album says, close your eyes and listen. “Just close your eyes, it’ll be alright.

by ABBY ROMANO