Back to School Night welcomes back Wildcat parents

Assistant principal Mrs. Hanks helps parents find their student’s class during Back to School Night Sep. 9. Photo by THERESA KIM

A musty September evening welcomed nervous and curious parents to campus for the annual Back to School Night. The event took place Sept. 9 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. and gave a chance for parents to visit with their children’s teachers.

The night kicked off with parents first visiting their student’s first period classroom. Each period was 10 minutes long, giving teachers a chance to explain classroom rules, the curriculum, and what they are planning to do this year. Parents were given a schedule with the classes and room numbers filled out by their child. Like frantic freshmen on the first day of school, parents had to find each class before the next bell.

Leadership students could be found throughout the campus holding signs for each building and helping guide parents to the correct classrooms. They also sold  Quarry Bowl T-shirts for $10 each.

“I believe that as an ASB class we showed how much we really do care about not only the student body but everyone who supports Whitney High School. There were so many volunteers from the [ASB] class to help work and we also got to bond a little bit over them. Plus we sold a lot of spirit wear!My goal last night was to see every leadership student working to show enthusiasm for what they were doing and also to be as helpful as possible to make sure that parents were having the smoothest Back to School Night possible. And in my eyes we did a great job with that,” ASB treasurer Kat Nham said.

With teachers like advanced geography and AP Government teacher Mr. Timothy Farnan handing out business cards to parents. Back to School Night was able to give a better understanding to parents regarding classes and teachers.With Back to School Night taking place on the  fourth week of school rather than the second like previous years, parents were given an opportunity to meet teachers face to face and understand each class better.

“This year Back to School Night took place later, usually it takes place on the second week of school. It’s better because the students schedules don’t fluctuate, in previous years I met with parents for Back to School Night and the student might end up with a different teacher after that night. Back to School Night is better for the parents because they get a chance to meet with the teachers face to face and they get an understanding of the curriculum,” Farnan said.

Whether it was teachers and parents getting to know each other or students helping parents have a smooth night, Back to School Night was beneficial to every individual involved with the campus and the student body.

by THERESA KIM