Girls’ varsity soccer team has a backup plan

The girls wait on the sideline for their turn to go in. Photo by Mara Webster.

The aroma of grass fills the afternoon air. She suits up, strapping on her shin-guards. She laces her cleats and sits on the bench, where she inevitably will sit for the entire game. She is on the girls’ soccer reserve team.

“We practice and do everything with the team, and we’re still a part of the team. But we can only suit up when the coach tells us to,” reserve player Chelsey Hart said.

As she explained, the reserve team is basically a group of permanent substitutes. They are part of the entire soccer experience but are excluded from games. The idea for the reserve team came from the notion of having too much talent, but the lack of games could make the reserve players feel like inferior outsiders.

“There were so many people trying out, and they didn’t want to cut all of us. I still feel like I fit in with the team, though. We didn’t have jerseys at first, but they eventually gave us them. I got to be in the team picture because the team wanted me in it,” the other reserve player, Emily James, said.

Though they do not participate in games, reserve players said they feel welcomed and supported by the entire team. But why would someone want to play in a sport, if she knows she probably will not be playing?

“I love the game. I like working with a team and not a sport that’s very individual. I also have no hand-eye-coordination, and soccer uses foot skills,” James said.

Hart also continues to play soccer even without guaranteed playing time.

“I’ve been playing so long that it would be weird without it. We also get the chance to play in a game if we do well in practice. I’ve played in three games and I was really excited and nervous,” Hart said.

Similarly, James gained the opportunity to show her skills in a game because of her hard work in practice.

“I’m OK with being on the soccer reserve. It’s better than being cut, and I’m grateful that the coach thinks I’m good enough to play. I know if I play well in practice, I will have the chance to play in a game. It’s nice to practice for something. I got to play against Placer and I was really excited that my work paid off,” James said.

The two girls may not be official varsity players, but their efforts in practices have allowed them to enter the field on game days. However, the question of why there are only two reserve players is still haunting.

“I guess it’s a good opportunity, but there’s only two of us. Why can’t they just let us play?” Hart said.

By SARAH TUCCI