Big brother may be watching

Having listened to seniors discuss George Orwell’s novel 1984 for the last couple of weeks, the gears in my mind have really begun to turn. Ever since becoming familiar with the concept of big government and big brother, it has been my belief that the society portrayed in 1984 was a frightening extreme that we would never come close to reaching. While I am by no means saying we have reached the point where government has absolute control, I no longer believe that that is an unrealistic future. With big government expanding over the past few decades, here are two scary elements that I have popped up to me that indicate a more sinister side of our government.
     While reading through 1984, one of the most frightening parts for me was the Ministry of Truth. In the ministry of truth, the main character, Winston, literally participated in a government directed activity of rewriting history by incinerating documents and rewriting recorded documents. In so doing this, the Ministry of Truth and Big Brother are fully capable of monitoring and allowing what people can and cannot read, hear and believe. This may sound like a crazy outlandish concept, but is anyone out there aware of what the FCC does? The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is charged with “the regulating all non-federal government use of the radio spectrum  (including radio and television broadcasting), and all interstate telecommunications (wire, satellite and cable) as well as all international communications that originate or terminate in the United States. It is an important factor in U.S. telecommunication policy.”
     In simple terms, the FCC essentially controls everything that you and I hear over the radio and television. A select group of people sit in an office somewhere and deem what is acceptable or unacceptable for America to hear. If someone cusses on air, they are fined. If someone says something that is interpreted by the FCC as not fulfilling the “purpose of promoting safety of life and property through the use of wire and radio communications” then it cannot be said over radio or on TV. Without even getting into the First Amendment is it just me or does this seem like Big Brother stuff?
     Now for the really frightening part, the USA PATRIOT Act (Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism). Passed on October 12, 2001, just following the September 11 attacks, the USA PATRIOT Act’s purpose is “to deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes.” Sounds great, especially considering the time in which it was passed. Just following one of the greatest attacks in American history, some extra security seems reasonable, right? Hold on a second, take a look at Title II Section 201 of the USA PATRIOT Act which grants the federal government “authority to intercept wire, oral, and electronic communications relating to terrorism.”
     Intercept electronic communication? So basically, legally without a warrant, the U.S. government can listen in on any phone conversation that they wish to, all in the name of “National Security.” This is so blatantly a violation of the Fourth Amendment (right to privacy) of the Bill of Rights that it’s almost laughable. Even more alarming is the final part on the USA PATRIOT Act’s purpose, “… and for other purposes.” What on earth does that even mean?! That simple phrase adds a gray area to all this, a line that cannot be crossed because the line was never defined. As a small government guy, this stuff freaks me out big-time and here’s why.
     This is a quote from 1984 that I believe is deeply profound and insightful.
     “We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end…. The object of power is power.” (Orwell 288)Once power is given to our government, who knows how far they will go with it, and honestly, I don’t want to find out. The idea of the telescreen as shown in 1984 seems ridiculous, but we don’t realize that we live in a society where our government can literally hear everything we say to each other over the phone. If anyone is in support of the USA PATRIOT Act please contact me and I’ll set up a debate in Debate Club on any Friday that works best for you.
     Hope this has been food for thought. Please comment whether you agree or disagree with me. Utilize your freedom of speech while you still have it.
By CHAD TUCKER