Six Flags Discovery Kingdom field trip

Photo by Megan Miller

Eating frozen lemonades, waiting in lines, taking in the sun, riding numerous rides with a huge group of friends, keeping your distance when watching the whale show… this can only mean one thing: field trip to Marine World!  This isn’t just an ordinary trip to the theme park, no, it’s one with about 150 students from physics, marine biology and AVID classes.  

Now that I’ve given you some of the background, let me fill you in on how the day went, starting with leaving school. Getting on the bus was its own surprise: the aroma of eggs filled the bus as we found our seats. It could be because the bus travels to so many different places each day that the smells overlap each other and stink. Eventually we got used to it and the hour and a half ride wasn’t that bad. The excitement was building up in us until we got there and found out we had to grab an worksheet for physics or marine bio. Let’s hold up here a minute, I’m not sure what you think, but I’m not used to going to a theme park and filling out worksheets on the animals, including the whale show. As we continued into the park, we decided to start the day with a bang: one word, MEDUSA. We immediately went into the line, waiting in line in the sun as the temperature rose.

When we finally got to be the people to experience the terror next, the excitement was growing. Realizing that while we were on a ride having a good time, everyone else was bored to death in class, waiting for their teacher to let them flee. After we went on a few rides, around 2 p.m., we decided to stop and get some food for lunch. We walked over to the food court and decided between pizza, sandwiches, hamburgers and a few other options. After we decided what to eat, we chose to just relax and sit down in the shade without being in a hurry. After we thoroughly enjoyed our food, we decided to continue our journey. We stood up, walking aimlessly and thinking where we wanted to go next. We ended up at the butterfly exhibit, and man was it humid and hot in there. That’s all I want to say about that place, other than it was nice to see the butterflies but disgusting. 
     Seeing how we could follow that great experience we decided to keep walking and see where we ended up. We walked by the giraffes, tigers, lions and elephants where people were riding them. Ending up at our next ride, the Boomerang. A ride full of speed, height, spins and screams. This happened to be the first ride that didn’t have a long line for the very front cart, so my friend and I gladly took the challenge.
     After a few more rides, around 4 p.m. or so, it was getting hot and a few of us were getting thirsty. We kept walking around in search for a frozen lemonade stand. Once we found one we decided to ride a few more rides. That’s when we met up with a few of our other friends, making our group made up of about 10. This is when the fun really started to kick in. Till about 5:30, all we did was laugh and the day turned out to be even more fun then we thought. When 5:30 came around, we had to start walking over to “Shouka,” the whale show. This is where we had to write down the information on the worksheets.
     When the show was done, four of us decided to book it and make it over to take the Medusa for last spin. Almost running, we made it over there, screaming while going down the drop. When the ride was over though, we made a run for it back to the buses. Relaxing in our seats, we began the drive home, but not without stopping to get dinner first. Though that is a story for another day.
By TORI CHAFFIN