All Time Low and We The Kings concert review

PHOTO: Alex Gaskarth, Jack Barakat and Travis Clark perform in San Francisco on Novermber 11, 2009. Photos by Katy Sams.

All Time Low is currently underway on their headlining Glamour Kills tour. Along with We The Kings, Hey Monday and The Friday Night Boys, they performed at the Grand Regency Ballroom in San Francisco on Wednesday, November 11, 2009.

The venue was not located in an ideal spot, however vnot completely unsafe. Parking was a minor issue. Many parking garages were located in the near area; however, most were overpriced.

Crowd management was well-organized. However, the chilly San Francisco weather added a negative element to the long wait in line.

Doors opened shortly after the designated time and the mad rush for a prime spot was surprisingly well-managed.

The first band to take the stage was The Friday Night Boys who were nothing special, yet not a total flop. They lacked some stage presence and did a mediocre job of energizing the crowd. Their sound was fairly identical to their recorded works, yet they managed to pull off a decent first act.

Hey Monday, on tour with All Time Low yet again, performed next and reset the bar very high. Lead singer Cassadee Pope’s vocals did not disappoint and the band effectively set the stage for We The Kings.

We The Kings’ lead vocalist Travis Clark greatly surpassed expectations and produced a sound far better than that of their recordings. They performed a good mix of new and old songs by doing well-knowns such as “Check Yes Juliet” and “Skyway Avenue” with nods toward the new, such as “She Take Me High.” We The Kings had a great stage presence and did a great job of exciting the crowd for the final act.

All Time Low surely did not disappoint; just off Fall Out Boy’s Folie A Deux tour, they had their well-deserved stage time as a headlining band. Post release of their most recent album, Nothing Personal, the band performed mostly new songs while still reaching back to hits off of previous albums Put Up or Shut Up and So Wrong, It’s Right like the song “Dear Maria, Count Me In.” Much like their Folie A Deux and previous tour performances, All Time Low gave a high-energy show and exceeded expectations. With their typical on-stage banter and consistent movement, All Time Low gave fans exactly what they wanted.

In between each band, the tear down and set up was too slow and much of the audience grew restless.

Crowd management throughout the show was well-maintained. The security did an excellent job of passing out water and looking out for people who were ready to escape the pit.

Like all shows, the pit was crowded and hot and everyone received their fair share of elbows and toe stomps. Generally, the level of moshing and crowd surfing was kept to a pleasing minimum.

The show was out by 11 p.m., yet many fans waited around to meet their favorite band members. Band members did not come out for 15-20 minutes, which felt like an multitude of time in the cold San Francisco night.

Overall the show was a considerable success. Every band was a crowd pleaser and the audience was well-managed. The talent level was high and the show, as a whole, was five start worthy.

By Katy Sams