Local venues offer good times and music

Photo Illustration by Jasmine Patterson
Looking for places locally to hear a show? Not all venues are created equal, so check out these three spots in the area.
Studio 21: Studio 21 is a little hole-in-the-wall venue in Rocklin down by the train tracks. It almost gives you the essence of feeling like you’re in the middle of nowhere because you look to your left and you see a couple of plain, washed-out buildings, and then you take a glance to your right and you see an empty field filled with tumbleweed. Inside, the venue gives off the vibe of a cold cement block. There’s nothing more then a small stage and a few large red over cushioned couches. This is a place to go when you seriously want up-close, personal action with your locals; you’re able to stand right up next to the stage with no pushing or shoving and no ones head is blocking your view. Pretty much this place is not well known; its quiet, a little awkward if you aren’t savvy with other people in the local scene and the place is almost no bigger then a walk in closet.
Club Retro: This place has been around for years, no lie. You may be like “Oh no! It’s a club!,” but honestly it’s a building connected right next to a church off Hazel and Vine in Orangevale and is open for all ages to attend. This venue is a great place to hang out with your friends and is also a fantastic venue to meet local bands. Everyone who works there is fairly friendly and the bands that perform are more than happy to talk to fans new and old. Their stage set up is rather large and allows the band to spread out and move around, and it also enables the crowd to extend around the stage so there’s not a lot of pushing and shoving. It’s rare for large, well-known or “famous” bands to perform here, but they do play shows at Retro from time to time. However, this venue is more known for having the lesser known and growing local bands to perform; it’s like a building block to help them get to the top. 
Boardwalk: Don’t be confused with the boardwalk down by the beach, this venue in Orangevale is the place where you’ll see both your locals and your famous bands. If you see a small shack that looks like a mobile home with people lining up outside you’ll know you’re at the right place. The outside may look a little run down but the inside is quite the opposite. I’m not saying there’s fountains spitting out water and golden toilets in the bathroom, but the inside is nifty compared to the exterior. For example, they have a ton of guitars hanging on the walls signed by well known artists. And if you didn’t know, many locals originated from the Boardwalk. This place is seriously the holy grail to perform at if you ever want to get somewhere and make it big. The stage is pushed towards the far end of the building and although it may seem cramped with all the amps lining up in the foreground of the stage, the crowd sure does make an impression. The people that go to these shows range from all ages and backgrounds which almost makes you feel foreign if you’re not familiar with the scene. The mosh pits can get out of hand easily and honestly i can’t say their security is the best. I suggest if you’re small, meek or fragile, come prepared if you want to see a hardcore show.

By JASMINE PATTERSON