New incoming freshmen take over

Photo Illustration by Shai Nielson

It seems as though there are more nervous, scared faces, this year, then ever before.

Yes, freshmen. The bottom of the food chain have grown in numbers and it can be seen everywhere that their invasion is upon us. There is nothing we can do as they slowly take over and create their place in school history as the biggest freshman class on record with 465 students.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors alike can look around and notice how our school seems smaller, and that personal space bubbles are beginning to pop. As well, clearly defined gathering spots for lunch and breaks are being penetrated by the opposing forces of freshmen. It’s as though there are more everyday and it is impossible to deny it: they have overrun our campus.

According to fellow schoolmates, buses, like number 36, have been double-routed and are over crowded. This has forced people to sit in aisles and uncomfortable positions in seats with multiple other students.

New lunchtime restriction lines have created a smaller place for a bigger population, and it is not so pleasing to upperclassmen to share their spots with little freshmen.

Not only are they occupying space and stealing precious oxygen, but they leave their traces everywhere. Looking back at the amphitheater and lunch areas once students have cleared the way shows the destruction of freshmen, with trash all over the place.

Our campus was at one time a beautiful, clean place that students took pride in. But now we watch, horrified, as our school is littered and demolished by 14-year-olds who do not have proper Wildcat pride instilled in them yet.

We must be role models and show them how to respect our school by keeping it clean, using trash cans, and showing them what real school spirit is all about.

It is the job of upperclassmen and sophomores to teach these new freshmen the ways and rules of Whitney High School, and who’s in charge.

Watch out freshmen, this is your school too, but we were here first.

By SHAI NIELSON