Students involved in foreign language classes discuss the pros and cons of taking them

Once a day, every other day, most students go to an interactive cultural experience where they learn all about ways of life in different countries. That’s right, foreign language classes.

French and Spanish are the two foreign languages offered, but just like any other class, there are ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ to taking these classes.

According to French II student Jack Scaglione, there are almost no downsides to taking a foreign language in high school.

“Foreign languages are not only fascinating, but they also look good on college transcripts and have a certain attractiveness to employers,” Scaglione said.

Upon the belief that taking a foreign language will be beneficial to life outside of high school, Scaglione said that there were plenty more reasons why students should be happy to take such courses during the high school experience.

“It [is] definitely interesting how many people think they will never use a foreign language outside of school, but when you keep your eyes open, all sorts of small things pop up,” Scaglione said.

Having a basic understanding of either foreign language could provide interesting opportunities for the future and money-making.

In larger businesses, corporations can expand to places further than just that of the United States, and may also find varying success with overseas employment.

“If I ever become a person applying for a position in a business that have overseas employees, or that have certain buyers in foreign countries, my application will be that much stronger,” said Scaglione.

There is a great debate on how long to take a foreign language. For different colleges, there are different amounts of time required. One example is UCLA, a college that requires at least two years of foreign language experience in high school, but has a recommendation for three years. There are those who take only one year of foreign language, and they still meet all requirements for graduation. However, foreign language takes an elective spot, which has been viewed as an annoyance by Scaglione.

“It [is] a real pain that foreign languages take an elective spot,” said Scaglione. “Since I lose an elective because of ROTC, I have to drop French for my last year to fulfill VAPA credits for graduation if I want to remain in ROTC.”

According the California Department of Education, at least one year of a VAPA (Visual And Performing Arts) class must be taken to graduate high school, and at Whitney that VAPA class takes an elective spot, often meaning a discontinuation of ROTC for members who continue with it until senior year. Whether it is dance, or ceramics, or even graphic communications, at least one year of a certified VAPA course is required.

Overall, foreign languages seem to provide more benefits than downsides, and they also show a whole new side to the world, giving broader perspective on lifestyle and language of different countries, despite taking up that ‘oh-so precious’ elective spot.

by JOEL TIMMS