Art III creates an insect collection

Art III Insect Creations

Since the beginning of this year, students in Art III have already been feeling a large difference between Art III and their previous art classes. With less structure and more artistic freedom, students have been given the benefit to express themselves through their assignments.

“There is more of a level of independence. As she trusts us more, and we have more experience and know how to do more things,” Riley Meixner said.

The newest assignment is taking students’ artistic abilities and putting them to the test. Students have to create a 3D insect using a multitude of different media such as clay, paper mache, and wire for the body and legs. They also could draw out sketches of their bug by hand for the accents and details.

“[In Art III] We are building an entomological specimen. We’re sculpting bugs and creating them based on a whole bunch of different mediums,” Riley said.

This new project was inspired by art teacher Mrs. Deborah Lane, who had gone to an exhibit and seen many different images of insects, side by side. This inspiration led the students to first choose three bugs then research them for more inspiration. Then after this, each student chose an individual bug to construct. Once every student is finished, these bugs will come together to become an entomological specimen.

Caeli Solis, currently a student in Art III, is working on a Blue Cracker Butterfly. Since there has to be a variety of insects, students have chosen many unique types of dragonflies, butterflies, beetles, and moths to take a part of this large insect collection.

“One tricky thing is that no one could have the same bug,” Solis said. “You have to strategically plan how you are going to make each piece of the bug [as well].”

Though the project is tricky for some, these new skills that are being taught will help students advance in their basic art skills, so they can be even further challenged to express themselves with more difficult but more exciting projects.

“In Art I, there was a lot more instruction and guidance. But now, since we know the basics, we are able to kind of go on our own and be a true artist,” Solis said.

As Art III progresses with their entomological specimen and continues with other pieces of artwork throughout the year, they will learn new skills and develop new ways to express themselves, just as true artists would.

by RACHEL MARQUARDT