The boy who cried ‘fight’: fake fights disrupt lunch

Sophomores Alexis Nyal and Soren Smith show off their muscles. Photo Illustration by Vivian Tran

Expecting punches to be thrown, students rush to the tight knit circle that miraculously forms outside the cafeteria. Pushing and shoving their way to get to the action, students complain, disappointed at their lack of visibility. Those that are lucky enough to see – usually because they are standing on the outdoor lunch tables – tap their feet, slightly impatient at the commotion, yet still interested. In the middle of the circle stand two students, walking around each other menacingly, filling their illicit conversations with invalid threats. There is rarely any violence, only talk of it, there are rarely any hits, any kicks, or punches, only hopes that something will happen.

Rather than seeing blood flow, students here are excited to see purple Powerade being poured onto a student’s head. These childish activities that students claim to be “fights” are usually nothing but an excuse for attention. It is of no doubt that these students haven’t witnessed, much less been in a real fight involving fists, strength and violence. I am not trying to encourage fighting; in fact, I am against it myself, but I feel that calling a Powerade toss a fight is extremely discrediting. By continuing this behavior, our school’s reputation may slowly shrivel to nothing. Much like the boy who cried wolf, I doubt anyone will actually believe that there is a fight, if and when that day shall come.

No matter what the situation in the middle of the crowd holds, the administration does a good job of rushing out and breaking up the scene.

“The consequences really depend on what happened. Consequences could be different for a person who fought verbally or someone who was actually violent,” Mrs. Jennifer Hanks said.

After the administration intervenes, students trickle away from the scene and begin the murmurs of a fabricated story. It is in these instances that the students’ creativity really takes shape and wild tales of a scene in an action movie replace the reality they just witnessed.  Students are partly responsible for the exaggeration of these fights. Without these rumors, it would seem like less of a big deal. I hope that a true fight will never take place at this school, but until then, these idiotic disputes must come to an end.

And so the students leave, hoping that the next day will bring about more excitement.

By ILAF ESUF & KAVYA PATHAK