Weights teacher Mr. Peter Buck’s contract not renewed, students react

Photo by Olivia Grahl

Mr. Peter Buck was informed on Feb. 23 in a meeting with Mrs. Debra Hawkins and a Human Resources employee that they would not be renewing his teaching contract for next year. He said he was not given a reason for the decision.

After students heard about it, they spread the word over social media with the hashtag #savecoachbuck.

The ASB president, Katrina Nham, started a petition that night which has 402 signatures as of now.

“A lot of people on Twitter really wanted to do something to help Buck and even if it doesn’t work I feel like it’s a good way to show him that he will be missed and that everyone is behind him; he deserves that,” Nham said.

Although the petition shows support for Buck, it will in no way be able to change the decision that has been made by the human resources department.

“It was really cool to see last night how many people were affected by Buck and how he’s had such a positive impact on the school,” Nham said.

On Tuesday, Buck personally shared with his classes what had happened. He assured students that the reasoning for his contract not being renewed was not for inappropriate contact with students, like some of the recent firings have been.

“From what I hear from other teachers, it’s from a district standpoint because of the declining enrollment. If it is, I don’t think the petition will make a difference. Either way he deserves to know that we all support him and that he is an amazing teacher,” Nham said.

One of Buck’s students, Shelbi Meyer, said she is upset about the decision made by the district.

“I feel bad for Buck because it’s so short notice and out of the blue, but I feel like it’s not personal because we are overstaffed,” Meyer said.

Students are speculating that Buck will not be returning next year in order to make room for a new football head coach. Athletic Director Mr. Jason Feuerbach denied this, and said he has no information if the new coach would even be able to be a weights teacher, as the decision for the new coach has not been made yet.

While Feuerbach was not able to comment on why Buck will not be returning, he said he was informed of the news around the same time as Buck was. Although Feuerbach did not retract Buck’s track and field head coaching position, it is unlikely that Buck will return to coach next season.

Other teachers may be in the same situation as Buck, but he is the only staff member confirmed to not have his contract renewed for next year.

The Human Resources Department at the district office handles all the contracts and teachers are not obligated to share the information about their contracts.

Students are also using social media to spread the word that they will be gathering at the school district office in support of Buck on Feb. 25 at 6:30 p.m.

by ABI BROOKS