“It’s Kind of a Funny Story”, but it’s also a great movie

Movie poster from “It’s Kind of a Funny Story”

Provided by Moxie

Being a teenager usually is seen as a stressful and crazy time in someone’s life, and the movie “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” portrays this is an amazing way. However, this movie isn’t just for teens. Anyone can relate to stressing over school or work, depression, renewing yourself, and falling in love.

Keir Gilchrist stars as Craig, a 16-year-old who checks himself into a psychiatric ward after being depressed for several months. Considering he’s very new to the movie scene, I think he did an excellent job at tackling this main role. Except for the fact I’ve never seen him in other movies before, I couldn’t even tell he was new to acting. While watching the movie, I seemed to get very close with all the characters, especially Craig, and sympathize with them the entire movie as they went overcame many hurdles.

Along the way Craig encounters Bobby, played by Zach Galifianakis (of “The Hangover”) and many other patients, including Emma Roberts (of “Nancy Drew”, “Hotel for Dogs” and the Nickelodeon show “Unfabulous”) who help him realize life’s worth living.

“It’s Kind of a Funny Story” can’t really be categorized as a “comedy” or “action” or “indie” movie. Throughout the movie, there’s hilarious jokes, heartwarming moments and suspenseful tidbits that combine to create the perfect movie. “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” definitely has a “Juno” or “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” feel to it, with an indie soundtrack and art incorporated throughout the movie. And the movie is split into days of the week, as “Juno” is separated by seasons.

This movie is definitely real, in the sense it deals with real-life situations happening in the world, not completely fictitious works. Teenage suicide, depression, cutting, losing your house, family issues and being in love are all relatable topics portrayed in “It’s Kind of a Funny Story.” However, this movie isn’t the least bit depressing. It made me think about how the little things that can get you down, aren’t actually as bad as you think, and you should appreciate what you have, like friends, family, and a roof over your head.

By: GABRIELLA FORREST