Seniors shut out juniors 30-0 in powder puff football

Tamara Townsend gives the seniors a pregame speech Oct. 18 at the stadium. The game took place at 7:30 after the sophomores defeated the freshman team in the first game. Photo by ROBERT PARKER 

The curse has been lifted as the senior class has succeeded in beating the juniors in the annual powder puff game, winning Monday night 30-0.

The class of 2011 won an upset last year over the residing seniors and used that momentum to carry them to a win.

“Seniors broke the curse, that’s what’s up! [It was] amazing!” senior Abby Ferrin said.

Walking across the track in front of their fans, senior players make their entrance. Photo by ROBERT PARKER

The seniors broke out of their banner, which read “All We Do Is Win,” and stormed onto the field. The juniors won the toss and went on offense first, but the senior defense shut the junior offense down the entire game.

“[We stopped] every single play that their offense tried to throw at the defense; it never happened,” senior Marlowe Altamirano said.

Marisa Sievers, Nichole McKenzie and Morgan Edwards all contributed with first half touchdowns, taking the game into halftime with a 22-0 lead.

After halftime, the seniors went on offense first, and within three minutes had already added another eight points to their score. Ferrin ran 63 yards to put the seniors up 30-0.

“I felt amazing. I just wanted to turn around and cheer on for the seniors because we dominated,” Ferrin said.

However, the girls weren’t the only ones showing their class pride on Monday night. The cheerleaders on both sides kept chants, stunts and dance battles going between them the whole night.

Chanting "Let's go, offense!" senior cheerleaders try to pump up the crowd. Photo by ROBERT PARKER

“I wish we could have done a little more hip-thrusting, because that was my favorite part, but it’s all good. They called it ‘too provocative’ … I guess you don’t need to hip-thrust to [the juniors], it’s bad enough losing that bad,” senior Thom Ruiz said.

Ruiz and the rest of the senior male cheerleaders put in long hours perfecting their halftime routine, and he said he was pleased with the outcome.

“The halftime show was awesome. It was really fun, I got really involved in it. [We practiced] last weekend, this whole weekend and today we practiced nonstop. We went over it at least 15 times,” Ruiz said.

Celebrating the night, Ruiz said, “The seniors are the greatest class in the world. 2011, baby, that’s where it’s at!”

By ROBERT PARKER