University prices increase causing community college enrollment to rise

Photo by Maddy Lyman

According to CNN, about 40 million Americans have student loan debt. Everyone is aware that college is expensive, but it is proven that most people with a college degree will be more successful in the future. According to a study by US News in 2011, people with a Bachelor Degree who worked a full-time job earned $21,000 more on average than someone who worked full-time with just a high school diploma.

In order to reach her goal of becoming successful when they’re older, Mia Fortier seeked for a college plan that would save her the most money and still get her a college education.

“Instead of going to a CSU or UC out of high school I’m going to a community college and staying at home for the first year to avoid student loans and housing payments,” Fortier said.

“I always work hard in school and try to prepare for college as much as I can so I could get into a four-year but due to a tight budget I will have to resort to starting off at a community college and then transfer into a university,” Arionne Valdez said.

Last year, UC’s and CSU’s tuition averaged between $17,336 to $23,340, not including housing and meal fees. In the same year, community colleges tuition averaged around $2,352 to $4,552. Some students apply and qualify for grants and financial aid but only half of the applicants get this deal.

The major difference between community college and CSU/UC colleges beside the price difference is the type of degrees offered. Community colleges only offers technical and general education associate degrees while university can offer anywhere between associates to PhD degrees. Also, if one wants to get a higher degree than associates but began at a community college they can transfer into a CSU/UC after their 2 years studied there.

by MADDY LYMAN