Advanced theater students begin preparations for Lenaea festival

Despite the early time of the school year advanced theater students are already in preparation for the 2016 Lenaea Theater Festival in Folsom.

2016 will be the second year theater teacher, Mrs.Julie Hilliker, and her advanced students will be competing in the festival. The festival is an opportunity for theater students from different schools to be able to compete with each other and receive evaluation on their theatrical skill from the judges.

“[Preparations will be] about three times a month starting [in October],” and a goal to, “have [the one-act] blocked before Christmas break,” said Hilliker.

The festival will be time consuming and exciting, but continuing schoolwork is a priority.

“I’d love to continue the curriculum while still incorporating [Lenaea],” said Hilliker.

After 2015’s Lenaea advanced theater student, Angela Reed, approached Hilliker asking if she could write the following year’s one-act. One the one-act had been written and school had begun, the auditioning process began.

“[We were looking for people] who have the best connections on stage,” said Reed.

Reed gained her inspiration from Rocklin High’s one-act and the seemingly frequent lock down.

“I was enthralled by the psychopathic element,” said Reed.

With that inspiration Angela spent her summer writing a one-act for the 2016 Lenaea Festival. she had become overjoyed when she realized that she has been able to write a connection between the events in the piece.

“I had that moment where I did a happy dance,” said Reed.

With confidence in her piece and the students participating she anticipates the upcoming festival.

“I honestly think we’re going to do very well this year, everyone’s really excited and it’s really well done on all the actors’ parts,” said Reed.

The advanced students are eager to participate, and are willing to give it their all.

Hilliker shares Reed’s confidence in regards to the students’ abilities.

“I think they’re going to do as well if not better than last year,” said Hilliker.

Hilliker also believes that the most that she can take credit for in their success is the support she has given them.

by LINDSAY LUCAS