‘Evernight’ isn’t like every other vampire story

‘Evernight’ cover and text  Photo Illustration by  Sarah Nichols

With flaming red hair and bright green eyes, Bianca Olivier seems like your average girl being forced to go to an old and creepy boarding school. Normal? No. Average? No again. Of course, she’s a vampire.

Bianca has moved to live at Evernight Academy with her parents who will be teachers at her new school. And what’s a weird boarding school without a psychotic principal Mrs. Bethany, also a vampire. Evernight Academy is a boarding school for newborn or century-old vampires looking to keep up with modern day technology. Many are used to horse drawn carriages and have yet to learn the magic of email.

Evernight has been a safe haven for vampires only. Humans didn’t’ know about Evernight until Bianca’s first year when humans were allowed admittance.One of those humans is Lucas Ross. Lucas carries dark secrets like a wallet in his back pocket, keeping a low profile until he meets Bianca. It’s your typical vampire- human romance but much more action-packed. Lucas and Bianca fall in love, surprise surprise. Because Bianca isn’t a full vampire yet Lucas doesn’t know she isn’t human.

Lucas is forced to leave Evernight with outraged vampires on his heels because he is part of the Black Cross association. Ever since Lucas was little he was taught that the only thing Vampires could do was kill and a million different ways to kill them. When he finds out that Bianca is a vampire that gives him another motive to leave. their separation wore on each other until they gave in and had to see each other again. His family is constantly on the move but is stationed to take down a group of vampires in the town just a few miles from Evernight, making their secret meetings easier to come by. Both Lucas and Bianca’s parents forbid them to see each other and try their best to get them on the right track again.

Evernight is dripping with dark secrets that have been slammed shut behind old rusty doors to remain secret. What happens when to kids threaten the safety of those secrets? Anything and everything. Mrs Bethany will do anything to keep Lucas and Bianca out of the know and their mouths shut. Lucas and Bianca’s struggle to find out why Mrs. Bethany hasn’t let humans in for centuries and now suddenly humans are their kindly neighbors. Claudia Gray gives teens a great twist of romance, action and a vampire twist, all the things you need in a book.

With 327 pages I turned each one as quickly as possible. This is a book you won’t want to put down. But don’t worry, you won’t have to for long. There are three other books in the Evernight series, continuing Lucas and Bianca’s forbidden romance and the struggle for human a vampire unity.

By LAUREN NIELSEN