Theatre Awards Show recognizes students’ performance and service

Under the theater lights in a room full of energy May 23, all levels of theatre students celebrate one another through awards, speeches and a photo slideshow of memories. Mr. Joshua Ansley stood on stage recognizing the actors and tech crew in the theater program, including the musicals, plays and theatre classes.

At the end of every school year, the theatre program hosts the Theatre Awards Ceremony, the program’s version of a banquet, or as Ansley described, their “version of the Tonys and Oscars awards.” The ceremony was a way for the program to reflect on the accomplishments they had made and the memories they had together. 

The event began with cupcakes and soda in the theater hall. The event started at 5 p.m. and after some time to connect with their peers, the guests moved into the theater at 5:30. 

“I really like the fact that it includes everyone in the theatre program. We’re all under one roof, but we don’t see each other often because it’s all the classes and then the plays and musicals that not everyone participates in. So it’s really nice to get to see new people or get to talk to people that you’ve never really talked to before and get to know them,” Michaella Leonor said. 

Ansley started with a speech to thank everyone in the program. He also dedicated time to say a few words about each senior and gave them each a bouquet of flowers. 

“It’s weird because most of your relationships don’t have a four-year window that you already know is there, but that’s the case with this. I’m getting more and more used to it, but it’s really hard because you meet these people and you just know they’re going to be gone. You might see them again but you might not, you never know,” Ansley said. 

More than 200 students got to vote for the awards, based on the students enrolled in class or as participants from the year’s productions. Each winner received a certificate and a special item that Ansley added. The awards included Best Actor/Actress In A Musical, Most Improved, Rookie of the Year, Best Performer In A One Person Show, Best Supporting Role In A Play and more. An award was also given to one performer in each class period. 

“When I received the Theatre Spirit Award, I was just grateful that others had recognized the work I put into the program and wanting to see it succeed,” Melia Lambert said.

Along with the awards, Ansley played a slideshow showcasing the different moments in the program throughout the year. Every class period as well as all the musicals and plays had a slide dedicated to them. Additionally, each senior made a slide about themselves.

“It’s nice to all come together at the end of the year and reflect on the accomplishments we’ve made. It’s the last thing theatre related, but it’s not a performance, so there’s no stress to it. It’s just a fun experience,” Kai La Point said. 

Ansley said, “It’s a great way to wrap up the year. It’s almost too emotional to deal with sometimes, but it’s kind of a stepping stone to the beginning of the end.” 

by WYNETTE CALUNSAG & ISABEL SOTO