NHS members add life to campus with planting project

Maroon and gold is a common sight around campus for t-shirts or posters, but now the popular school colors are growing from the ground, too. NHS members recently planted maroon and gold tulips surrounding a new Raywood Ash tree.

Last year, NHS members did some weeding on campus and pulled out plants that they assumed were dead. They noticed that not much was left, so Liz Grover had an idea to replenish the area with some new plants, according to member Stephanie Grover. The group had everyone donate $2 for the cause and raised $64 to spend on the plants. With this money they bought the Raywood Ash and tulips.
     “With plants, they grow and multiply every year, especially with the tulips. So we bought some of those. Hopefully it grows nice enough,” she said.
     When the time came to plant the tree, they had one shovel and a lot of people wanting to help. The project took place during lunch and ran into eighth period.
     “There were a lot of rocks around the planter so we had a hard time digging holes as deep as we wanted and planting,” Stephanie Grover said.
     Assistant principal Manny Rodriguez was among the first to compliment these students on their contribution to the campus. He congratulated them on the project and spread the word that the tree and tulips were a result of their efforts. NHS sponsor Penny Shelton confirmed that the students had the idea and made it happen on their own under the leadership of the Grovers.
     The newly planted area is part of the big circular barrier behind the E building. 
BY Darren Garcia