G-Eazy’s Must Be Nice tour thrills fans in Sacramento

G-Eazy performs Lady Killers at Harlow’s Restaurant and Nightclub on March 4. Photo by ILAF ESUF

The bass was in fact bumping and the beat did in fact drop on March 4 when G-Eazy performed at Harlow’s Restaurant and Nightclub. The ‘50s-inspired heartthrob rapper commanded the stage and wooed the audience from song number one.

Doors opened at 5:30 p.m., but the line began to form two hours before. Groupies and fans huddled outside the club, taking pictures in front of G-Eazy’s trailer, anxious for the show to begin. As soon as the doors opened, the madness started.

A mob of people surrounded the stage as soon as they set foot inside, an hour and a half before the show was set to start. Since all tickets were general admission, it was up to you to keep the spot you got whether that meant pushing, shoving, punching, kicking or screaming. The few people who stopped to grab free G-Eazy stickers and buttons or purchase G-Eazy merchandise which included a $25 snapback, $20 shirts and $10 wayfare sunglasses risked their chance at being up front.

With a sold-out show, personal space was not a factor. I could feel the moist T-shirt of the girl behind me, drenched in sweat and sticking to her body. I could smell the shampoo of the girl with the afro next to me (Herbal Essences, in case you were curious). I could feel the elbow of a swagged-out teenage boy trying to shove his way through the crowd so his girlfriend could have a better view. I could feel the sadness of the two girls right next to me who got kicked out before the show even started for causing such a ruckus. Describing that night as crazy would be an understatement.

The body-on-body, standing room only predicament aside, the show was amazing, to say the least. DJ Mikey Fresh opened the show playing remixes of songs by Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z and Kanye West. With the crowd pumped, Skizzy Mars received a very warm welcome as he performed hits such as “Douchebag” and “Pay For You” where G-Eazy made a quick appearance. With each song, the crowd inched their way closer to the stage. Anyone who thought the pushing and shoving would simmer down was sorely mistaken.

After finishing his set, Skizzy exited the stage and the audience was left tense and anxious for G-Eazy’s entrance. Set to start at 8, fans were disgruntled as the minutes passed and no one appeared on stage. Half an hour later, the fog machine goes off, the lights dim, and the crowd roars as he slowly walks on stage.

Immediately interacting with fans and reaching his hand out, G-Eazy made everyone forget about their tired aching feet and focus on the music at hand. Walking up and down the stage, stopping at moments to gaze into the eyes of obsessed teenage girls, interacting with all the screaming fans, G-Eazy got the crowd pumped and kept them that way throughout the whole show.

Opening with “Marylin”, the perfect song to woo his fans, G-Eazy got the crowd to sing the chorus as he rapped. Hundreds of screaming girls professed their love to him, threw their clothes and underwear on stage and the pushing and shoving increased in intensity. Everyone was hoping to get a piece of G-Eazy, but the only way to do that was by being up front— hence the relentless shoving. Notorious for his interaction with the audience, G-Eazy encourages his fans to “go hard”. Arms would fly up towards the stage anytime he neared the edge, hoping that he would reach and out hold their hand. He captivated his audience with the first word he rapped, drew them in when he took off his G-Eazy wayfares, and made the crowd go insane when he combed back that iconic ‘50s-inspired do. He really knew how to work the crowd.

Next, G-Eazy played a more up-beat EP, Rebel, which was never released in any of his albums. He continued to go back and forth between performing songs such as “Lady Killers”, “Mad”, “Plastic Dreams”, and “Breathe” from his new album, Must Be Nice, and songs such as “Runaround Sue”, “Hang Ten”, “Make-Up Sex”, “Waspy” and “Acting Up” from his old album, Endless Summer. Keeping with his tendency to interact with his fans as much as possible, G-Eazy jumped into the crowd, who then began violently pushing and screaming hoping to be a part of the action. Safely back on stage and a song later, he thanked Sacramento, said goodbye and walked off, but his fans wanted more.

The crowd erupted, chanting “Loaded,” one of his most upbeat songs on Must Be Nice, in hopes that he would come back and perform one more time. Never wanting to disappoint his loyal fans, G-Eazy gave them what they asked for. The crowd which was finally starting to settle down erupted yet again. Arms flew up in the air, lyrics were being screamed and the dancing raged.

I was left speechless at the end of the concert, partly because I was screaming the lyrics throughout the show and lost my voice, but mainly because it was such an amazing performance. He brought all his hard work and passion with him on stage, showing his excitement over his first headlining tour. The fact that he was born and raised in Oakland added to the authenticity of the show.

Normally, I’m into the indie scene listening to bands like Of Monsters and Men or Mumford & Sons, but this was an experience to remember. I’m slowly starting to make my way back into the rap scene and this concert was unlike any other. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd was wild and the energy was thrilling. Granted, my experience up front was probably a lot different from a fan stuck in the back, but everyone seemed to be having a great time regardless.

I had one goal that night: hold G-Eazy’s hand. Instead, I ended up holding his hand twice, he gazed into my eyes, and I grabbed his shirt. Mission definitely accomplished. Although the packed venue caused bruises and pain, it added to the experience. Everyone in that tiny nightclub was there for one reason: to be serenaded by G-Eazy.

by ILAF ESUF