Administration honors students for distinguished community service

Distinguished Community Service award recipients Amanda Bray, Megan Murphy and Jacob Zufelt relax during the award’s breakfast on Mar. 20. Photo by SHAI NIELSON

The administration and counseling department honored 91 students at the Distinguished Community Service Breakfast in the library on March 20. These students recorded at least 150 community service hours since last year and received muffins, juice, awards and even a break from class during third period to celebrate their achievements.

“I’ve always liked to give back to the community and help people,” attendee Charles Lomba said.

Community service hours schoolwide add up to 66,471 hours and those, like Lomba, who are Distinguished Community Service award receivers make up 30,471 of those hours. That means that seven percent of the total school population record 45 percent of the total hours.

To get that many hours, the honored students had to go above and beyond.

“I helped the volleyball coach at Twelve Bridges, played in the pit orchestra for the school musical, helped at football games and kept score for freshman basketball games,” Lomba said.

Some students earned just enough for the 150 hour requirement while others exceeded that amount and earned 200-300 hours.

“We are just so proud of everyone here who puts so much back into the community beyond just the required 25 hours,” Principal Debra Hawkins said to the group of students at the breakfast.

Almost 100 students were honored this year but there are more than that many altogether.

“To attend the breakfast, you have to get an additional 150 hours each year. Most of the award recipients were honored again this year but in total there are 137 students on campus who have at some point in their high school career exceeded 150 hours,” head of College and Career Center Mr. Patrick Floyd said.

Though there were a few freshmen and sophomores, the majority of students at the breakfast were juniors and seniors with senior Caitlin Shantz having the most hours at 600 and senior Sarah Wharton close behind with 588 hours.

by SHAI NIELSON