Dance I Showcase displays routines based on Billboard Top Hits

Ending the Dance I Showcase Media Day, Dance I Interns perform their final bows of the show Apr. 3. Photo by Rhaymark Nazareno.

From a wide variety of performances ranging from hip-hop to lyrical, Dance I classes begin their preparation, practice and routines at the start of the year for the Dance I Showcase. The theme was “Billboard Top Hits” and had two showing dates: April 4 at 7 p.m. and April 5 at 7 p.m. 

Routines in the show were choreographed by Dance I interns Gabriella Balentine, Emma Gallo, Daniela Ianev, Katie Newman, Carson Nichols and Hannah Sprinkle. Specialty solo routines were choreographed by Madelyn Wilk, Avery Steinkamp, Lexi Chadwick and Lindsey Reichstein, who made a Unified dance. The UNIFIED dance contained students with disabilities who are a part of the disability support program on campus. During the routine, dance interns perform one-on-one with the students. 

“My favorite routine I was a part of was ‘Motive,’” Dance I student Dana Falls said. “It’s jazz but it also has a lot of hip-hop elements in it, which was fun and made me feel cute.”

Although the classes have been working on the showcase for the past three months, at the beginning of the year, interns prepared the dancers with techniques, skills and facials. 

“It’s really exciting getting to see all the girls improve over the year and everything we do basically builds up to the showcase,” Newman said. “[Dress rehearsals] are a little chaotic but it’s super important for getting all the kinks out of the show so it runs smoother.”

During their second semester is the production unit, where dancers learn about green rooms, wings and how to walk on and off stage. 

“There’s always going to be butterflies [during dress rehearsals], but it was really cool because that’s when everything goes into full swing,” Sprinkle said. “You actually feel like, ‘Oh yeah, we’re really having a show now’ because of all the quick changes and fine-tuning details.”

BY JEZLYN SOTELO & KEIRA WONG