Rocklin beats JV at fourth annual Quarry Bowl 14-7

JV players walk through cheerleaders after losing to Rocklin. Photo by Ariella Appleby. Photo taken Sept. 13, 2013.

On Sept. 13, cross-town rivals Whitney and Rocklin gathered in the Whitney football stadium to watch the Junior Varsity teams face off in the Fourth annual Quarry Bowl. Despite the JV team’s attempts, the team lost 14-7.

In the first quarter, there were multiple incomplete passes made by both teams.

“It’s intense. Both teams are losing the ball a lot,” Garet Sanderson said.

In the first quarter, #23 Eli Cunningham from Rocklin scored the first touchdown, with a field goal by #4 Jack McBride.

“We’re a much better team,  and we can do much better than we’re doing right now,” #82 Alex Muir said.

Whitney’s first touchdown was made by #10 Dominic Watson in the third quarter with an extra point made by Muir.

“The crowd was huge on both sides. But as for the student section, Rocklin came prepared. We were really quiet and weak,” Markley Brown said.

The half-time show had both schools’ cheerleaders.

“It was really entertaining; I thought the cheerleaders did well,” Sanderson said.

As if losing the Quarry Bowl and being weak in the spirit was not enough, #3 Hunter Rodrigues was injured during the third quarter.

“I was scrambling, and dove, and this guy dove on top of me onto my left shoulder. The trainer thinks it’s either broken or separated,” Rodrigues said.

After Rodrigues was pulled out of the game, things went downhill. Rocklin scored a touchdown and the extra point in the fourth quarter.

The defense made sure that Rocklin wouldn’t score again after that and Whitney offense tried to score but failed, ending the game 14-7.

At the end of the game Coach Jesse Armas commented on how he felt the team played.

“We definitely got outplayed. We kept turning the ball over, which is a thing you can’t do,” Armas said. “It’s all the little things that make a championship team. We’re just going to have to go back to the drawing board.”

Read live tweets from the JV and varsity games.

by ABI BROOKS