CAHSEE results bring good news to sophomores

Photo by Megan Miller.

As with every end to the school year, comes an outpouring of standardized tests. Stressful AP exams and upcoming finals are looming in the minds of many students. However, good news was recently relseased concerning the CAHSEE test taken by sophomores in February: a 97 percent pass rate in English-language arts and 99 percent pass rate in mathematics.

The California High School Exit Exam, which includes both English-language arts and mathematics sections, may be one of the most important tests a student can take throughout high school. Passing this test equals a green light for graduation (so long as the other graduation requirements are also met). Even if students don’t pass, there are several other opportunites to retake the test in junior or senior year so that graduation can be attained.

However, for many sophomores, a second chance is not necessary because of the high passing rates.

“In the past, students at WHS have scored in the 90 percent rage, so I expected they would do well, again. I was delighted to see just how well the students did this year,” assistant principal and testing coordinator Mrs. Sherry Mauser said.

Improvements have clearly been made by students this year as compared to previous years. In 2008, students had a 93 percent pass rate in mathematics and a 94 percent pass rate in English-language arts. Results in 2009 showed a 93 percent pass rate in mathematics and a 95 percent pass rate in English-language arts.

“Each year the staff tries to improve on the previous year by enhacing teaching strategies used with students and stressing the importance of the test. We want every student to pass the CAHSEE so that they will be able to receive a diploma, and I feel that even more steps were made this year to ensure great scores,” Mauser said.

This past weekend, all those who took the CAHSEE received letters which included their scores.

“I’m proud I passed because now I can go to college. I thought it was really cool how well everyone did. It shows how hard we work. We’re not slackers or stupid. We know our stuff. I thought the test was pretty easy,” Ayda Sadeghian said.

Not all sophomores are as impressed by the scores.

“I don’t think it was a big deal because it’s so easy and people who didn’t pass it probably just didn’t care about it. I didn’t study at all and I had no trouble on the test,” Grace Chang said.

Regardless of what many students feel to be a simple exam, the CAHSEE results are still impressive considering WHS scored the best throughout Placer County.

“I am proud of the students’ performance and I think that both the staff and students did a great job in preparing for the CAHSEE,” Mauser said.

BY HALEY DOYLE