RTPA/RUSD ONGOING COVERAGE: Strike approval confirmed

Union+members+continue+to+wear+green+RTPA+buttons+and+pins+to+show+support+for+their+interests+in+the+bargaining+process.+Photo+by+Alaina+Roberts.+

Union members continue to wear green RTPA buttons and pins to show support for their interests in the bargaining process. Photo by Alaina Roberts.

The RTPA announced today that they have permission from the majority of the teachers to strike. Voting took place between Whitney teachers at lunch Oct. 26-27 as well as at other district sites, reaching an approval of a teacher strike.

“The bottom line is that a strike is the LAST thing anyone wants. A strike means students lose classroom time with teachers, while teachers lose time instructing students and planning curriculum. As a member of the bargaining team, my hope is that we can work with the district over the course of the next month to come to a fair and competitive settlement,” bargaining team member Mrs. Emily Thomas said.

Bargaining meetings will continue Nov. 1, Nov. 8, and Nov. 14 with a state-appointed mediator present.

Students and parents are encouraged to attend each school board meeting as a way to express opinions on the ongoing negotiations process.

Whitney High Student Media will continue to provide updates as negotiations continue.