Groups to promote with fanfare during annual Club Rush

One of the requirements for all clubs on campus is to have an official shield to display at Club Rush on Sept. 26. Photo by OLIVIA GRAHL

With 41 different clubs to choose from and a day free from intervention, the amphitheater will be packed from 12:17-1 p.m. on Sept. 26 as students experience Club Rush. The event is designed to give everyone on campus has an opportunity to see the clubs and find ways to get involved.

“Club Rush will be really fun. I heard about some clubs passing out food and others will have games. I’m not gonna lie; it will be very big. There are a lot of clubs this year, but it will still be fun,” clubs committee president Janelle Sanchez said.

One difference is the earlier date. In past years, the event has taken place in October. Club members say they expect the format to be mostly the same, however. A representative from each club met last week at the student senate meeting to cover final details for the event.

When choosing a club, students are advised to make sure that time and thought have been put into the decision.

“Find one or two that you are really attracted to. Don’t sign up for eight or nine clubs because you won’t be able to attend all the meetings,” club adviser for the Secular Student Club, Cats for a Cure Club and the Gay/Straight Alliance Mr. Jason Knowles said.

To start a new club, students first need to get the materials packet from the Student Store. They then need to find a teacher to advise the club, as well as find a time and place to meet.

“It is really important to get a least half a dozen friends to start the club with you. If you already have a following, it will be easier to get new members,” adviser for the Liquid Club, Be the Change Club and the Debate Club, Mr. Jon Bryant said.

During Club Rush, students can talk to members and sign up at tables where they are interested. This is a good chance to ask questions, because some clubs have names that are misleading. For example, the Liquid Club is actually for Christian students while the Secular Student Club is run by non-religious students.

Clubs are always open to new members. “Clubs are always looking for new members to expand their club. It’s more fun with a lot of people because you have more help,” CSF member Amanda Bray said.

by OLIVIA GRAHL